Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

3 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

pics of my snake and her eggs + info

i have a heat pad on the wall, and i think in the last pic, she is warming up her body to keep the eggs warm

also, when i first noticed she had laid eggs (three days ago, not sure how many she has, but the light brownish egg is abt a third the size of the others)

i saw the light brownish colored egg abt 5 or 6 inches from where she was, so i looked at it, then put it right beside her
    and in the morning (7 am), i checked on her and she had taken the brown egg back w/ the others
    and when i got home from work (4 pm), she had pushed it away again
    i thought that was interesting

yesterday i candled the brown egg and didnt see any veins or anything
    so i decided to cut it open
    i have pics, one on my phone and one on a digital camera
    the digital isnt here right now
    and my phone wont send any pics right now, not sure why
    but when i cut the egg open, a bunch of goo came out
    so i looked at it for a while, got a plastic ziplock bag and put it in my mini fridge
    i'll post the pics whenever i get everything worked out

im gonna candle the healthy eggs later on today
    i'll take pics and post them eventually

i raised the temp in her cage
    and ive got a spray bottle

for now i think im gonna leave the eggs with her(fluffy)

my stepdad works at the zoo and hes gonna talk to some of his co-workers and see what they say
    and we've been trying to get a hold of our friend in texas
    hes the one who gave us the snake
    and he is a snake breeder
    and we're gonna ask him some questions and see if we need anything else to do

just so you know, we've had this snake for 15yrs, and hasnt had any contact with males since then, and we think its strange that she decided to lay eggs now

if anyone has any comments or advice please let me know

thank you
    aaron

Thanks

Re: pics of my snake and her eggs + info

as was mentioned in your previous thread, parthenogenisis is not unheard of in BP's, and there's another thread active on the board right now about the exact same thing.

I'm not sure if snakes are like other animals I've raised, but I would be wary of touching/handling the eggs. Birds and rabbits (the only mammal I have experience with) will reject the eggs/young if they've been touched by a person. Rabbits will actually eat the kits if they feel threatened.

Thanks

Acutally, snakes can store sperm for a long time. I wouldn't think that after 15 years it would still be viable though.

Kevin writes in his book that he's tried several things with the "rollout eggs" over the years. He's put them back in with the clutch and the mother always rolls them out. He's also tried to incubate them alone and none of them made it. They're just duds..and for whatever reason, the mother seems to be able to pick them out.

I would expect the brown egg to be a "slug" or an egg that wasn't calcified enough to make it, personally.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

i wouldnt think that snakes could tell if their eggs have been handled or not
    i knew birds could tell, but birds have a sense of smell, and snakes dont
    so im guessing its safe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skatenc56
    i knew birds could tell, but birds have a sense of smell, and snakes dont
    so im guessing its safe
    Actually snakes do... that's why they flick their tongues. The collect scent particles with their tongue the way we breathe them in, and instead of air transporting the particles to the scent receptors their tongues carry them to the Jacobson's organ to be analyzed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CntrlF8
    Actually snakes do... that's why they flick their tongues. The collect scent particles with their tongue the way we breathe them in, and instead of air transporting the particles to the scent receptors their tongues carry them to the Jacobson's organ to be analyzed.
    oh yeah, sorry
    you're right
    i mixed that up with hearing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne
    Acutally, snakes can store sperm for a long time. I wouldn't think that after 15 years it would still be viable though.

Kevin writes in his book that he's tried several things with the "rollout eggs" over the years. He's put them back in with the clutch and the mother always rolls them out. He's also tried to incubate them alone and none of them made it. They're just duds..and for whatever reason, the mother seems to be able to pick them out.

I would expect the brown egg to be a "slug" or an egg that wasn't calcified enough to make it, personally.
    my stepdad just told me that one of his friends at the zoo, who is a reptile curator, said that snakes can hold sperm in their body for up to 18 years, could be longer, but thats the longest he has heard of

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skatenc56 For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-10-2013)