Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

3 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Missing Spur??

Thanks

Unhappy Missing Spur??

Hi.. Our sub-adult male ball just shed today. We had him out, when I noticed he only had one spur. I KNOW I've seen both spurs on him before. It also seems like there is some dried blood around that general area (just a small trace of it around his butt? don't know what you call that area). He is in a tank by himself, nothing that he could possibly get hurt on! What could have happened to him? Could it have anything to do with him shedding? Is that normal and will it affect his breeding when the time comes? Do they grow back? If you have any ideas as to what happened, please voice your opinions or knowledge. Thanks!!

Thanks

Re: Missing Spur??

A very small amount of blood is normal when they shed the vent scale. He may have lost one spur in the last shed, but he should be fine to breed without it.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I would be willing to bet that his spur is still there. Their spurs are actually quite small. What most people fail to realize is that when looking at an adult Ball Python's spurs, typically what you are seeing is about 3 to 4 retained sheds on the spurs. Look at your snake's next shed, and see if it has a shed spur on it. I usually don't see the shed from the spur on the rest of the shed. I have occasionally pulled off retained spur sheds and you see the actual spur, which is quite small, and white (not the brownish color that you normally see). Hope that helps, and I would bet that upon closer inspection, you will find a tiny white spur still there.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

I'm with Tim, it's probably tucked up inside still but some snakes will loose a spur. Apparently it isn't anything to worry about and I've been told it happens quite a lot actually.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Thanks for your response! Just got a little spooked bc of the blood stains and no "spur" or what i thought was one lol. Appreciate all the words of wisdom.