Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

1 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Rescued two ball pythons today

A lady came up to my work today and asked if I raised snakes. Naturaly I got a slight smile and said yes I do may I ask why. I dont want to go into details but in the end she offered to give me two what she thinks are ball pythons. I told her I would have to look at them and see what the health of them are.

So after work she came and got me. Sure enough there are two ball pythons. I'm guessing about 7 months old. On male and one female. One tank and plenty of supplies. The female is trying its hardest to shed. She just needed a nice long bath and it started to peel off on its own.

No pics of the male he is a bit shy and I didnt want to disturb him.
    http://www.rchelipit.com/MySnakes/Picture%20013.jpg
    http://www.rchelipit.com/MySnakes/Picture%20012.jpg
    Last edited by SatanicIntention; 08-14-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Pictures need to be less than 800 pixels wide.

Thanks

Re: Rescued two ball pythons today

I would say much younger then 7 months. I have a female 4.5 months old and she is that size. You weigh em?

Thanks

Well I was just guessing I am not trying to disturb them to much. I havent got a very good look at the male but he does look a bit larger than the female. She is a bit under wieght. Just to hold her is scary. I can feel how skinny she is. It doesnt look like it but she is. I am more worried about her than anything right now. I was told she hasnt eaten in almost two months and he was fed about two weeks ago. Hopefully all is ok and after a day or so of settling in I will inspect them attempt feeding.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Get them both set up in nice SMALL tubs, with very snug hides and put them in a dark room or quiet area of your house. Don't bother either of them for a week, then offer an appropriately sized prey item.

I recently rescued two ball pythons, one was extremely thin (you can see the thread in QT with pictures then and now) - her tail looked anorexic. She's eaten every week after the first week of acclimation and looks like a different snake.

Don't be in a rush to feed her, let her get settled in - if you give her that head start, she'll be more likely to eat, and you'll be less likely to be stressed out. She will be fine waiting a week - she's got more "meat" on her bones than my rescue did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Get them both set up in nice SMALL tubs, with very snug hides and put them in a dark room or quiet area of your house. Don't bother either of them for a week, then offer an appropriately sized prey item.

Already did. I have a rather large closet in my herb room. They are both in there in smaller than normal cages with some good hides.

The reason why I wanted to feed her atleast this week is, I dont rasie my own mice. Which is dumb becouse the nearest place is over 2 hours away.

Ive never had to keep mice very long. Over a few days or so.
    I could buy them food and keep them until they are ready to eat.

Any pointers in keeping the mice in a good healthy state while I wait.
    I know a bit about my bp's but notta about mice

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have a 10 gallon tank, put the mice in there with aspen and torn up newspaper to nest with. Ask for all females if you can (will smell less and reduce fighting). Since you hopefully will only keep them for a week or two, pick up some mouse food from the pet store. I feed mice and rats, Becky's rat mix in the feeder forum (sticky).

Make sure they always have food and fresh water and clean the tank once a week.