Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

1 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an idea...

Thanks

an idea...

ok, so heres the thing. i have a 20gal tank that the girls are currently living in. to me its going to be too small for them as they grow so i got to thinking, they have those "Add a level" things you can put on a 10gal tank, what if i took two of them, ziptie (or whatever) them together and snipped the part that would go over the side of what would be the 10gal to incorporate two fo them (are you following me or did i loose you yet) to get the most out of my 20gal tank.

http://www.petco.com/product/10806/S...e.aspx#details
    as an example.. could it work do you think? or would i be better off

a: just buy a 10 gal and the girls loose all that floor space but gain height
    b: forget it and fork the money and get something more accomidating like a ferret cage (or martin? cage.. no local retailers i hate waiting lol)
    c: buy a large parrot cage and get basically the same thing (less floor space, added height)
    d: leave them alone its enough space (not sure it is though as i would like to get one or two more rats eventually)

Thanks

Re: an idea...

ok, well the people on the rats rule forum pretty much flamed me for that idea.. looks like i really just need to look into getting a martin (?) cage.

is it true that keeping rats in a tank is bad for their respitory system? im sure they woudl be mortified if i suggested keeping them in altered bins lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB
    ok, well the people on the rats rule forum pretty much flamed me for that idea.. looks like i really just need to look into getting a martin (?) cage.

is it true that keeping rats in a tank is bad for their respitory system? im sure they woudl be mortified if i suggested keeping them in altered bins lol
    LOL...well that was your first mistake Rat People are NUTZ. And prey they NEVER find out your have snakes..Lordy would you be in trouble.

As for tanks...yes they are bad for rats (in a perfect world sense). Rats have VERY weak respritory systems and they can get RI's very easily. Tanks hold in the ammonia and dust from the bedding and could lead to issues. However, if you are clean often then their usually isn't any issues...but again never tell that to a rat person.

As for your idea...I would add to the top of your 20 gal. But build it instead. Get some hardwire cloth and build a wood frame (wood on outside/wire inside) this way it could be a high as you want and will save you money.
    Sean

Thanks

I agree. If you're willing to keep up the regular cleaning work, building an add on is the way to go. Besides, if you got that ferret or parrot cage, you'd be adding hardware cloth anyway to make sure they couldn't try squeezing through the bars. I got my ferret mansion with added hardware cloth because it's much easier to clean than the homemade contraption I had before, and it gives my girls plenty of play room.

Basically, go with what you think will be easiest for you to handle as far as expense, cleaning, and available room. Good luck
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I see no issue with zip tying them together at all. You could also get some wire snippers and cut out some doors between the two as well so that they could easily get from one to the other, or just cut out the one wall completely on each and zip tie it that way. Just becareful with the Zip ties... They can chew through plastic like nobodies business...

Actually now that I think of that... I would go against zip ties altogether and use some picture hanging wire to tie them together (you can get it in any wall hanging set at Walmart or a hardware store)... Heck, if you want to pay the shipping I've got about 12 balls of the stuff lying around here because I never use the stuff, but always want the mounts that you nail in that come in the kits!!! lol
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

Honestly, I would either build one out of PVC coated hardware cloth(1/2") and buy the hardware from Martinscages.com(except use a tub like you house the snakes in for the pan), or you can buy one. I have pictures of one I built for my dwarves.

I HATE tanks for rats, UNLESS the rat is sick and needs confined, OR the rat is pregnant and close to birthing. Tanks do not provide adequate ventilation and it can scar their lungs very quickly from the ammonia buildup(unless you want to clean it every 2-3 days). Lung scarring leads to chronic respiratory problems from decreased lung capacity. Tank toppers are ok, I guess, but the rats can't really get off the wire unless they go down into the tank area(higher concentration of ammonia).

Petsmart has these nice wire cages, but they are just painted and not powder coated. I love Martin's cages, because they are BIG, easy to clean, and not expensive.

You can also build a cabinet cage out of melamine, and those look really nice. I have one for most of my girls and it is 3ft x 2ft x 4ft. Very easy to clean, but some of the shelving eventually needs replacing(I didn't seal it well enough in some places).

And I hope whoever said that rat people are nuts.. Didn't mean it.. Some can be, but those are the fanatics who never leave their house. I have pet rats and snakes, and I know that my friends don't think I'm nuts(even the rat lovers). Yes, my rats eat a mostly organic food mix, wellness senior dog food, they get fresh veggies most days of the week as well as some of what we have for dinner, and Mazuri lab blocks, but does that make me "nuts"? No, it just means I'm caring for my pets as best as I can. Just because a dog can be kept in a dark closet, fed, watered, cleaned up after and it survives, doesn't mean it's the best possible environment for that animal.

For me, feeders are feeders and pets are pets, there's a line that separates.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Personally I'd just start watching garage sales, the newspaper and craigslist and go for a larger cage that's appropriate for rats. Either that or build something yourself. Hardware cloth isn't at all expensive really.

As far as some of the folks that are a bit fixated on their rats. Remember there's always going to be people like that on forums online. They get way, way, wayyyyyyy too much tunnel vision and forget a little thing called "reality" LOL. Rats are amazing pets, an excellent food source for snakes but they are not small humans in furry coats...they're rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Personally I'd just start watching garage sales, the newspaper and craigslist and go for a larger cage that's appropriate for rats. Either that or build something yourself. Hardware cloth isn't at all expensive really.
    That's an excellent point Jo. I think alot of people on this forum would rather DIY than buy a new cage all together. Seeing as how there are threads labeled "Dollar store rules!" etc...lol. I would prefer to make my own cage, just like Becky said. Hardware cloth and a tub. I know there are blueprints online of cement tubs with hardware cloth, and other tubs. Plus, when you make it yourself, you can put as much or little as you want. That's whats so attractive to me.

As far as some of the folks that are a bit fixated on their rats. Remember there's always going to be people like that on forums online. They get way, way, wayyyyyyy too much tunnel vision and forget a little thing called "reality" LOL. Rats are amazing pets, an excellent food source for snakes but they are not small humans in furry coats...they're rats.
    Yes, Rats are just rats, no matter how much we love em. Those extremists would NEVER let any reptile near their babies. Even the "Rat lady" is petitioning that reptiles of any sort not be fed live EVER. She says it is animal cruelty. But that's saying that rats are more important than snakes. By taking away the snakes natural instinct to constrict [for constricters] and kill live prey, isn't that a disservice to the snake?

To tell you the truth, i'm gonna let the 5000$ snake eat whatever way it wants, if i put that much money into him, even if that means eating live. Rat's and small rodents are usually the natural prey. SO let them do what's natural.

Thanks

thank you everyone for your input, do we have any blue prints here?

Thanks

I am going to be honest with you here. I have kept my rats for years, and keep them in tanks with screened lids, in a well-ventilated room. I have never had any RIs with them and they are as healthy as can be. I don't see the reasoning for going out and buying an expensive cage just because other people say that they are necessary. I prefer the tanks for breeding, because the babies canno get stuck in any wire. And I prefer them for cleanliness because bedding, feed and poop do not get flung through any bars and go all over the place.
    Now, overcrowding rats in tanks, or cages, is wrong. I use 10g tanks for my moms with babies; they are a nice snug size but also allow Mom to get away from the babies to urinate/defecate on the other side of the tank. I never put anymore than 2 rats in a 20-long tank; i use it for my male and whatever female he is breeding at the time.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast