Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,540

1 members and 3,539 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

So heres the thing...

So i really want a BP and im planning on getting one, only problem is my mom wont let me get one, she hates snakes, any ideas in how i can convince her into me getting one?

Thanks

Re: So heres the thing...

See, when I was younger I wanted a snake REALLY bad!! It took me years to convince her, and when I did it was for these reasons: Their cheap, they dont smell, they dont get too big, their docile, and (once she saw some babies at a pet store), their not monsters and are really kinda cute. And thats how I got my first snake I love her to death, my favorite animal out of them all. I really do hope that she lives to be 40
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mischevious21
    See, when I was younger I wanted a snake REALLY bad!! It took me years to convince her, and when I did it was for these reasons: Their cheap, they dont smell, they dont get too big, their docile, and (once she saw some babies at a pet store), their not monsters and are really kinda cute. And thats how I got my first snake I love her to death, my favorite animal out of them all. I really do hope that she lives to be 40
    SEE! thats what i said! LOL. i think shes kinda giving in, but like how much is a tank now a days, (canadian money) she doesnt want it to get out.

Thanks

It's a lot easier (and a heck of a lot cheaper) to just buy a 32 qt plastic tub to put a BP in than it would be to buy a 20gal long tank. In american dollars ( don't know hoe to convert to canadian money) a tub is only like, $6-$10, where as the glass tank is about $60. Not only that, but it's harder to maintain the correct temps and humidity for BP's in a glass tank, which might require multiple heating sources and frequent mistings a day, whereas for my tub system I just need one heating source and no misting at all.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect9
    It's a lot easier (and a heck of a lot cheaper) to just buy a 32 qt plastic tub to put a BP in than it would be to buy a 20gal long tank. In american dollars ( don't know hoe to convert to canadian money) a tub is only like, $6-$10, where as the glass tank is about $60. Not only that, but it's harder to maintain the correct temps and humidity for BP's in a glass tank, which might require multiple heating sources and frequent mistings a day, whereas for my tub system I just need one heating source and no misting at all.
    lol dont know what you mean by tub, wouldnt it get out? send me a picture of yours please?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Educate her about the subject, show her you are responsible and will care for your animal and SHE will not be left with the chore of caring for your snake, and that you will also provide financially for your BP.

If after all that she does not change her mind, you need to respect her decision, if you really want a BP now I can promise you, you still will want one in 5, 10 or 15 years from now.

As a kid I could have any animal I wanted except snakes and I respected that, I grew up and my passion did not go away and I have since made up for all the years I was not able to own a snake, I now own 16 of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright202
    So i really want a BP and im planning on getting one, only problem is my mom wont let me get one, she hates snakes, any ideas in how i can convince her into me getting one?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

tell her the snake is going to be your responsibility. but that means you are going to be the one taking care of it for the next 20-30 years. are you going to be able to go to the store every week to get rodents? do you have the money in case your snake gets sick and you need to go to the vet? snakes may seem like awesome pets (and they are) but there is a deal of cost that goes in to keeping these animals. research everything about ball pythons, or whatever snake you plan on getting, buy all the supplies, set up the enclosure, and have everything running perfectly. then show your parents and explain to them everything you have set up and how it works and show her how mich you really want this.

too many times people come home from the pet store with a first snake, months down the road they can't take care of it anymore, or they can't afford vet/food/supplies and end up getting rid of it.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    tell her the snake is going to be your responsibility. but that means you are going to be the one taking care of it for the next 20-30 years. are you going to be able to go to the store every week to get rodents? do you have the money in case your snake gets sick and you need to go to the vet? snakes may seem like awesome pets (and they are) but there is a deal of cost that goes in to keeping these animals. research everything about ball pythons, or whatever snake you plan on getting, buy all the supplies, set up the enclosure, and have everything running perfectly. then show your parents and explain to them everything you have set up and how it works and show her how mich you really want this.

too many times people come home from the pet store with a first snake, months down the road they can't take care of it anymore, or they can't afford vet/food/supplies and end up getting rid of it.
    i know i will be able to be responsible financially, i am responsible, i have had reptile my whole life, but know she has to hate snakes, she doesn't understand how friendly they are.

Thanks

well i have no clue what size or tank or "tub" to get, and how to set it up... help? and what is a "tub" anyways..

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bright202
    well i have no clue what size or tank or "tub" to get, and how to set it up... help? and what is a "tub" anyways..
    This is why you still need to do a lot of research.

Here is an idea of the supply you will need as well a enclosure options, sizes etc http://www.geocities.com/gaballpythons/
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast