Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

0 members and 3,067 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

on heals of do snakes love you

do you think your alternative pet (not cat/dog/horse) loves you?
    what do they do to make you think so?

Thanks

Re: on heals of do snakes love you

ive had dogs, cats and horses that loved me.. i would like to think our rats will get to the point of liking us, they all three are really good girls and tolerate whispering and being held, they run for cover when elliott comes into the room though lol

Thanks

I know that my dog, Bear, loves me. He follows me everywhere I go, won;t leave my side for a minute, and when I leave the house I can see him poking his sad face through the curtains in my son's room looking out at me. ("Mommy where you going?") He's absolutely the sweetest dog!! He used to also sleep on the bed, the best bed warmer in the winter..LOL, until we recently bought a new one and it is much taller and now he can't get up there. Thinking of building him some steps though. I have had him for 10 yrs now, got him as a rescue. He was found in a box in a dumpster with his sister. My friend couldn't keep him and she gave him to me for my birthday (after I had told her that I would take him if she couldn't). He's actually sitting at my feet at the moment. Here's a pic of him on the couch next to me.

Thanks

I know my cat loves me or at least SUPER bonded to me. She follows me around, lays on my feet while I'm at the computer, waits outside the bathroom door for me, is the first to greet me when I come home. She sleeps either wrapped around my head or up against me. She doesn't like my father or my boyfriend or any other person that comes in the house. She acts like a total little snot to them but is a total sweet heart to me. She also gets super jealous when my boyfriend and I spend time together. She tries her best to show off and get my attention.

My dog Snick has always been glued to my side. She too does a lot of the things the cat does. She use to sleep in my bed, but she can't get up there anymore due to her old age.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

i know my girlfriends cat loves me when i throw his butt off my lazy-boy recliner....
    -Kevin

Thanks

I know that my horses love it when I feed them.. if I don't have feed, they could care less.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Look at it this way, you feed, house, love on, play with, support your pets. Don't your parents do that too...you love them right?

My border collie loves me, fo sho!

Thanks

The family pet (my Dad's golden) definately expresses how much he loves people. I've had him in my home for about 1/3 of his 7 year life over my Dad's many moves, work trips and holidays... When my Dad first leaves he'll mope around for about an hour, but after that he realizes he's in the house of constant attention.

He will lay beside you (no matter where you're sitting or how much room he has) and literally force you to hold his paw while he sleeps. If you let go of his paw, he gets up and nudges your hands and does that wonderful golden version of 'talking' at you till you hold it again. If you have to leave the room he gets up and follows you, nudging the entire way (unless you're on the stairs and then he backs off... that took a lot of work on my part)!

Oh yeah, and he knows the difference between 'sit pretty' and 'hug'... But the only people he'll do hug for are me and my youngest sister... Anyone else just gets a sit pretty!!!

I got to keep him for a month and a half recently... When he got home my Dad thought he was sick because he wouldn't eat and just laid infront the front hallway whining at the door... The vet told him that he was just depressed and there was nothing wrong with his health!!!

Yup... That dog definately loves me... Or just loves all the attention he gets from us when he's here... 5 Walks a day! Woo hoo
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

It is a tough call. To say that animals share the same feelings, thought processes, and capacity to care as people, would upset me. If it were true, I would feel bad about killing animals for food; it would be akin to eating a person, no?
    I believe that certain types of animals can be "invested in" and taught to care for and become attached to a certain person or people in general. With many animals, the link to food is what attaches them to humans. Take my friend's geese. They dislike people and run away from you, bu if you toss out some grain, they run up to you and will even follow you around if they know you have food. Same with my chickens.
    Mammals are different though. To me, they seem to posess a greater capacity to bond to humans and care about us in general. My cat is attached to me; he sleeps right by my head, and when I am home he is my shadow. Is this love, or is he waiting for me to get him a kitty treat? If I started kicking him around and tossing him away when he nuzzled my feet, over and over, would he still be attached to me? No, he would learn that humans are bad, and be gone when he saw one. Take the complex facets of human love though. A mother will sometimes love er son or daugher even after they have been proven to have committed a serious crime. Yet does the person's dog have the ability to reasno and know that their owner, say, is an arsonist? No.. it is different and based on the animal's capacity of intelligence (a dog is, say, more intelligent and reasonable than a slug; more evolved..)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    If I started kicking him around and tossing him away when he nuzzled my feet, over and over, would he still be attached to me? No, he would learn that humans are bad, and be gone when he saw one.
    I'd have to somewhat disagree here... Now I must say I've never kicked my roommate's cat and have not been cruel to him in any way, but I always move him away when he seeks attention from me. I'm severly allergic to him and he sheds like crazy - I've worked in a vet clinic he has to have some sort of disorder because he's a short haired cat but if he's brushed every two days you can actually fill a shopping bag with hair each brushing and the dander that comes off is just crazy - then again he also weighs about 27lbs. My roommate won't let me bath him with dander shampoo because he thinks it will traumatize the cat.

When he comes to me for attention I walk around him, if he comes into my office (which other than our bedroom is the only cat free room) I take him out, when he hops up on the couch with me, I gently put him down. If he goes on his 10 minute long sitting in my door way meowing at me for attention I do get annoyed and drop a bit of water on his head - although typically now I just tell him to shut up then he sits there and stares or goes to meow at someone else... But he still comes to me for attention constantly, and even if every one else is home. And when I get home from work he always runs to the front door and meows a bit and tries for attention.

I'm always gentle with him, but if I spend more than half an hour in a room with him I can't breath and my eyes start to swell up, and once I touch him the hair just kind of sticks everywhere! I'd had cats before both pink and white skinned, they only bothered my allergies for the first month or so... We've had this on going battle for about a year now, and he still loves trying to get attention from me.

Now that's not to say that if I see his food and water empty I don't fill it for him, or that I'm mean to him with my actions, or that on my way by I don't occassionally give him a rub on the head for a couple seconds before thoroughly washing my hands. The only time I think I hurt him was when he managed to trip me down our stairs and that was only because tripping over him "gently" and not trying to do a header at the same time is more difficult than you might imagine!

He came to my roommate a month before he moved in here as a rescue. When he moved in here the cat had yet to come out from under his bed. He would spend all his time under our couch, and got lost in our basement for a month he got up in the ceiling rafters, so when we ripped it apart we had no clue where he was, we could hear him but couldn't find him, then he came down for me while I was doing laundry one day, and he's been upstairs and loving us all ever since. If someone new comes over he still gets a bit skittish and hides for a bit - if they've never been here before typically hides for the entire visit.

But for some reason he still follows me around and wants attention all the time. I think its because he's trying to torture me and that he's actually just really evil.. But who knows, it could be love... Or it could be that I'm the only one with fingernails for a good scratch behind the ears
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast