Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 762

0 members and 762 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

New kitten = crappy situation :(

Well, I'll start off with me and my fiance live in our apartment with this wonderful 2 yr old black cat named Bubby.

He is crazy at times doing his time time trials by flying through the apt for no apparent reason, he is super vocal and seems to be talking to you, he will wrestle with me at times, but then snuggle like the big baby he is. He is the prefect cat!

Well, a week ago there was a lady giving away free kittens and me and my fiance decided to get one to give him some company. Possible bad move???

They play at times, and Bubby seems to get a bit rough but then most the time the kitten runs and hides. Sometimes he lays on his back and sorta smacks the bigger Bubby in the face.

Note: Sorry they are both boys

At first Bubs started acting different.

In the beginning he was super intrested but very cautious at the same time during the supervised meetings between the two.

Then during increased time with each other in the apt when were just laying around during the day and night doing nothing Bubs seems to just stare at him and occasionally go after him to wrestle.

But, he still doesn't seem to want to snuggle, wrestle, or be vocal at all since the new guy is here.

Will this go back to normal?

After talking to my fiance last night we both hinted to each other that we want the old Bub back and sorta regret getting the kitten.

Thanks

Re: New kitten = crappy situation :(

My parents had the same situation. We've had a black cat for almost 9 years, when my mother came home with a new kitten. The old cat wasn't the cat he used to be, and this took about 2 years. Eventually he was acting normal again, it just took time. Don't regret the kitten, you'll have a great time with him.
    -Nordin-

Thanks

It may be that Bubba is just more interested in the kitten and being a cat with another cat than he is currently in socializing with the humans. From what I know of cat behaviour, the vocalizing and the racing about like a crazy cat are signs of stress and boredom so if the kitten is helping with that, it's actually better for your adult.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

It can take cats weeks to get used to a change in environment, especially one as important as a new family member. You might look for a Feliway plug-in diffuser. It emits a pheromone that is very calming to cats and is great for potentially stressful situations. Like Jo said, he may be getting his social jollies from another cat now instead of you. If that's the case, I'd expect him to go back to normal once the newness wears off. Kittens are annoying little pests. :-P

And congratulations to you for taking in a needy kitten!
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Quick update!!!

Well, the kitten is no longer in the box because the older guy kept knocking it over.

They are playing with each other like crazy.

Both initiate it from time to time.

The older cat looks for the young guy when he is sleeping, kinda cute.

All is well. I was just a lil worried at first.

I'll post pics soon.

Thanks

i think maybe i should get a new kitten, they my girlfriends cat will quit bugging the heck outta me....
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    i think maybe i should get a new kitten, they my girlfriends cat will quit bugging the heck outta me....
    LOL Well, it worked for my male tabby. Granted he's just a kitten himself (3 months old) but MAAAAN was he clingy and whiney! We had him 2 weeks before we got our siamese girl (also 3 months old) and now the two can't stand to be out of each other's sight. My tabby will still come and snooze on my shoulder and demand his lovins, but he's not obsessive about it anymore... he has a sister now to beat the snot out of him and steal his dinner!

N4S, I'm glad everything worked out with the new little guy. There's nothing worse than two cats in the same house that don't get along or one cat getting so jealous that they take up the habbit of using your shoes and pillows as their litter box just to spite you. :eek:

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different