Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

2 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Our rescued squirrel

Just some photos of our rescued (and finally recently rehabilitated) squirell. His family had made our attic a home over the winter and as they vacated in the spring this little guy fell from the attic to the ceiling of the first floor through the wall somehow. He had a sprained leg and what the wildlife rescue in our area termed 'brain damage'. When they refused to take him stating he'd never survive in their program more than a night we convinced them to advise how we could monitor him for a bit as he was lively and didn't seem a risk (especially since he had no problem eating!)... In any case, we were glad we were right and they took little fuzzy from us and added him to a rehabilitation program two and a half weeks later! He's since been released with another family of squirrels and we were advised he was doing very well.

Kind of miss the little guy, but once he'd started acting like a squirrel again he became a bit difficult to deal with!!! (Sorry the photo quality is so bad, the lighting was awful!- Wish I had better ones)

About 5 seconds after spilling his water bowl all over the place:

Just looking cute:

Again with the cuteness

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Our rescued squirrel

Awwwwwwwww!! The cute-meter just spiked hard!

Kudos for not giving up on the little guy, and making sure he got the best care possible so he could get out there and be a free squirrel!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Well the boyfriend wasn't too enthusiastic at first, but after my first day at work he was hooked on the little guy...

I never got to witness it, but dear Fuzzy had an addiction to crawling into toilet paper rolls (which he could fit through completely) but then getting stuck in an odd position and Adam had to keep getting him out. After about an hour of him doing it again about 1 minute after being relieved from it he was in love!!! The rolls unfortunately came out once I got home though, I was afraid he'd get stuck when someone wasn't sitting there starring at him!

He was such a joy to have around, we'd have loved to have kept him as a permanent family member, but by law here doesn't allow it and the better he got the less he liked anyone picking him up, although he never once bit anyone... But it was a drastic difference from day 1 when he fell asleep in my hands 5 minutes after his rescue from the ceiling tiles (while I was on the phone to the SPCA finding out they'd only put him to sleep) to 2 1/2 weeks not sitting still at all!

Thanks

I'm glad the little guy was able to recover. I have such a soft spot for squirrels. Not much more than a fuzzy tailed rat, but dang they are just so sweet. Plus, they were some of the first animals I got to work with at our rehab center. They're darling as babies, but once those adult hormones start kicking in ... it's just easier to let the little darlings go.

Kudos to you, for helping the little guy out!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I think my first rescue that I got to help out with was a gaggle of baby raccoons... So sweet with such funny dispositions, but if you had any jewlery on you could be sure they'd be trying to steal it!!!

Other than that (and probably the first real ones) there were always days as a kid spent trying to stop the boys from killing all the frogs and garter snakes at the creek down from our place... Stupid young boys....

Thanks

ACK! How cute... baby raccoons!! That was one animal we never saw. I love baby oppossums. Think big ball of fluff with big eyes.... hissing at you. ROFL!! Oh yeah... you're a big scarey possum, now I'm going to flee for my life.

We were only able to catch salamanders and crayfish in our local creek. Of course, we killed a couple before we realized we couldn't keep them at home ... in the sun... in a bucket. (hey I was young once too! )
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

The baby raccoons were adorable... But I've had tons of encounters with them as adults when they're not so nice! Had a mother try to attack me for feeding her babies chef bouyardi ravioli while camping (probably not the most nutritious thing for them, but hey they eat garbage in the wild) ...

I was lucky to grow up around lots of wildlife, and unlucky that as a kid every time I brought home an animal my parents wouldn't let me keep it!!! They put a complete ban on me bringing home animals when I brought home a full grown northern watersnake and they flipped out thinking it was a rattler or venomous... Completely safe and was a gorgeous snake, but I wasn't allowed anything but the family dog as a kid-still miss that big boy!

Killed by irresponsibly is one thing... There were a couple boys around where I grew up who would kill them for fun, on purpose in disgusting and sadistic ways.. One of them asked me out years and years later and I said no solely based on childhood visions of him at that creek! We got gartersnakes, milk snakes, turtles, newts, tadpoles and once (and only once) a black with yellow spotted salamander that my parents refused to let me keep as a pet!

Thanks

Glad you didn't date that boy. Cruelty to animals is a big red flag for other issues later in life.

When I was a kid my friends and I had the only toad hospital in existance LOL. We had this huge fridge crate and had set up hospital wards (with working doors I might add). Our neighbourhood had those sunken window wells in the basements so lots of toads needed saving (or so we thought). We were big into toad rescue though sadly our lovely maternity ward went unused LOL.

We also hosted fuzzy caterpillar races (that sport never saw the media exposure it truly deserved!). I at one point owned the fastest fuzzy caterpillar in all of Scugog County. Well until my dad walked out back to bbq and accidentally squashed Speedy! I was horribly traumatized at the time, I think my father wondered about me LOL. But he didn't get the point that he shouldn't have been trucking through a busy race course....Men!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Haha! My Dad I think was relieved that at least on of his three daughters enjoyed being outside more and doing what my mom called "boy stuff".. He always wanted a son and my determination to play in the mud and bring home random "digusting things" (as my mom called them) meant there were always lots of guys around to help him out!