Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,532

1 members and 2,531 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: texas

Thanks

texas

anyone know the link for the law on hots in texas? i really want a gaboon viper but dont know the law want to make sure before i purchase. thanks
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: texas

I think you only have to worry about your local city/county ordinance right this second. There will be a permit type state wide regulation coming soon though.

Thanks

called my buddy who owns the only reptile store here. he states that its illegal to own any type of HOT in texas.. he said even rattlesnakes that would really suck! i was looking at getting a gabby. i was gonna purchase EVERYTHING for it and research it while temps got stable. i was also going to go help one of my friends who has a black mamba and a gabby and a few rattlers. i was gonna get used to the whole "hook" method and tips on cleaning/feeding/careing. i hope its not illegal. texas is so dumb. i hate this state!
    ~Chris~
    Snakes have blood, feal fear, breathe air, eat food, drink water, reproduce, and they happen to live in a body which is difficult for the average person to understand. One fears what one doesn't understand. ignorance creates fear. The fear of snakes is not cultivated…we are not born with it…children love snakes, just as naturally as they love dogs and cats. don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue…the only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.

Thanks

i would defiantly get ALOT of experience... not just a few days while the temps get stable. owning a venomous animal is a life and death risk. and just looking at the snakes you own i would say your experience is not very much. i would get about a years worth of handling aggressive or mildly venomous snakes to begin with. then step up to working with larger hots. a gaboon viper is not a snake you research then buy. you got to think about risks vs rewards. your sig says you have a child, you would have to teach him/her the same responsibility you will need. a hot is like keeping a loaded gun.

i am not trying to bash you, i hope i am not sounding like it. i just want to give you some ideas about what needs to go into owning a hot. i do not own any, nor plan on to in the future. therefore i am no expert, all i have is what i learned from books and people.

also make sure it is 100# legal in texas. they make it illegal for very good reasons.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K80tik
    called my buddy who owns the only reptile store here. he states that its illegal to own any type of HOT in texas.. he said even rattlesnakes that would really suck! i was looking at getting a gabby. i was gonna purchase EVERYTHING for it and research it while temps got stable. i was also going to go help one of my friends who has a black mamba and a gabby and a few rattlers. i was gonna get used to the whole "hook" method and tips on cleaning/feeding/careing. i hope its not illegal. texas is so dumb. i hate this state!
    Not sure who your buddy is, but it IS NOT illegal to keep in hot in Texas. Esp. when we have a hot show twice a year within an hour's driving distance to the Capitol.
    The current legislation is going to require a permit to keep any venemous that does not naturally occur within the state.
    The most important thing is to know your local city/county ordinances, get experience, have an action plan in case you get bit, and most importantly, have a stock of your own antivenin.

Thanks

thanks for replys will do. as far as your comments, its not bashing just advice and a point of view. i realize owning a viper IS like you say a loaded gun. ive done some research and yes i wont purchase for a while until i get experience.. at least a year to two years.
    ~Chris~

Thanks

I recomend not holding a black momba..period...lol. Make sure your ready...IMO a venomous snake is worse than a loaded gun. Good luck.

Cue, will the permit be for non-venomous snakes too?

Registered User Snakes Incorporated's Avatar
    Thanks

That black Mamba is the animal to watch. These guys get nice and big and are known to be very quick on the defense. The problem people don’t realize is that these chaps are very shy and would avoid confrontation in the wild but when “trapped” in an enclosure and handled can lead to the animal reacting surprisingly in a ways the handler may not be expecting.

If you decide in getting one make sure you have an adequate hid box and have updated your funeral plan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPenn
    Not sure who your buddy is, but it IS NOT illegal to keep in hot in Texas. Esp. when we have a hot show twice a year within an hour's driving distance to the Capitol.
    The current legislation is going to require a permit to keep any venemous that does not naturally occur within the state.
    The most important thing is to know your local city/county ordinances, get experience, have an action plan in case you get bit, and most importantly, have a stock of your own antivenin.
    Hey I'm in Texas. I originally heard that any non-native snake was going to be regulated. Has that changed?
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPenn
    Also, what does "require a permit" really mean? For example, I was told the new one was pretty much just going to be something you had to pay for. But, when I asked about indigos, "requires a permit" seemed to mean there was no way I would get one.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast