Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

1 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Corn snake cover question

I'm in the process of setting up a 10gal tank for my soon-to-be-purchased young corn (not sure how old yet, as I'm picking one up at the expo, but it will be less than 1 year). The lid is, of course, something I need to get right since these guys can really escape. I picked this up at WalMart today and it seems fine, but I wanted some expert advice before I settle...there's still time to buy a zoomed locking top online.

This is the bag it came in

This is the cover on the tank

If not this, or a zoomed, then can you give me some suggestions on good secure tops?
    Thanks
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Re: Corn snake cover question

I used one of those for a while and it was fine. Just make sure that all 4 latches are tight every time you close it.

If it's a really small corn htchling, you might have to check it over for holes bigger than 1/8" that they could squeeze through.

Thanks

I used that lid for corns before.. lost two corn snakes with it. I'd tape those circular things shut (from the outside so the snake won't get caught on the tape) and every time you close it, pull on all four corners to make sure the tabs caught to lock it.. it's easy to miss one and have a loose corner.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Thanks. Yeah I had to reposition those latches till I found the side that fit tightest. And I was already thinking of taping down (from the outside of COURSE) those openings

Thanks for the hole size heads up...I'll make sure openings are tiny if at all. I'm looking into getting a Critter Cage with the sliding/locking lid, I just never did before cause I already had the 10gal tank. After going nuts looking for secure lids, tho, I think it's a good investment. I'll use this lid till I get the other tank.

I think I know the answer already, but since I can only buy one of these, would I be able to get a 20gal and put a young corn in with plenty of hiding spots or would the extra space still be perceived and freak them out?

Thanks

Well, you could use a 20g for a young corn.. it's not ideal, but if you put lots of hiding spots, and make sure your temp gradient is ok, you should be fine. Corns are more forgiving than BPs.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

have you thought about using a tub in till it is large enough to go into a 20 gal? i have my corns in a rack and haven't had any problems.
    -Kevin

Thanks

I prefer not to use tubs, personal preference, but thanks for the suggestion.

I caved in today and picked up a 10gal 'Critter Cage' with the slide/lock screen lid today. I think $35 is worth peace of mind and no escapes. I'm going to treat the screen with foil and tape, as the sticky commands, as it works perfectly on my BP's 20L.

Another Q entered my mind today for all you corn owners: I know corns don't need light, but I always use a day and night bulb in lamps at least a foot above the cage to see them and add a bit of ambient lighting. Bulbs for snakes are either 25w or 40w max. I have a lot of 40w bulbs...would that wattage be too much for a corn cage?

Thanks

in a 10 gal the light might generate some heat and throw off your temps. but you'd just have to give it the old college try. if your using a UTH on a thermostat you might have to dial down the tstat a little to adjust.
    -Kevin

Thanks

I've had problems with that sort of lid from WalMart (those circles come open and the slide locks are iffy at best). We usually buy the metal framed lids and a twin pack of the metal clips made for them. A bit more pricey but nothing gets out from that lid.
    ~~Joanna~~