Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,019

4 members and 2,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Introducing male rats?

Okay i have two male rats in one big huge cage. I got them at petco 2 weeks ago and i really wanted to get another boy rat. Would the ones i have now get along with the new boy? I have another cage for when theyre getting used to each other im just wondering if they would grow used to each other. The one im planning on getting would be a little younger than the two i have now.
    Cassandra

0.1 Normal Ball Hydra
    1.2 Cats Princess Kiddy, Master Kiddy and Snickers
    0.1 Dog Raven
    1.1 Budgie Parakeets
    2.0 Ratties

Thanks

Re: Introducing male rats?

Normally rats do quite well together, whether they are all males or all females (never put a female in with multiple males however, that can cause major issues). One thing I always do whenever I introduce a new rat into an established group is give the incoming rat a good wash under some warm running water and a bit of baby shampoo. Makes sure they aren't bringing home any hitchhiking little buggies as well as knocks off any of their previous colony smell. Then I put it in a secure container to dry off. Meanwhile I clean the established rats home so it's all fresh litter, then put the new rat in there to check it out first and have a chance for a drink of water and a bite to eat. After a bit I put the other rats in and just watch that everybody is getting along okay.

You should expect to see some mounting behaviours (dominance not breeding), lots of butt sniffing and some boxing or wrestling as everybody figures out who fits where in the rat social group. Don't be surprised if the dominant male holds down any newcomers...he's just showing he's boss rat in that group. As long as nobody is biting and drawing blood, it's all good. If they get too rough I just smack my hands, rap the side of the enclosure hard and holler "BAD RATS". That reminds them I am after all...queen of the rats! LOL and they best knock off the tough stuff.

Once they are being nice again, I offer everyone a handfed treat, making sure boss rat gets his first and they generally get along fine thereafter. Males are just as affectionate if not more so with each other than the females.

P.S. Always make sure any incoming rat is absolutely healthy before putting it in with your established colony rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I love rats! They just all seem to get along great, no matter how I mix them up. I have three males, two with each other and one with ladies. I often switch up resting female's buddies, depending on my breeding plans for each of them, and they all get along.

There are some that show preferences for others, and I try to keep those together when they are buddying up as much as possible (they usually breed together with the male).

Joanna had some great tips for introducing a new male.

Thanks

I actually find the male group is the laid back bunch. They really don't much care which male rat is around as long as they have another rat to flop on when it's snooze time and the eats are good (typical males eh? LOL).

If I'm going to have clashes it tends to be more with the females who seem to have definite preferences for certain "friends". Like Robin I buddy breed our females so they pretty much cycle in with a male together or in trios and then deliver fairly close to each other. Every once in awhile two dominant females will end up housed together and it's usually a real scuffle until one accept that the other is there and isn't going anywhere soon (or I give up and seperate the crabby ladies from each other).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks all for your replies, i've read mixed things online and someone told me that they had a rat murdered instantly when she'd tried the same thing, so i wasn't sure. I'll take your advice and just watch how things go!
    Cassandra

0.1 Normal Ball Hydra
    1.2 Cats Princess Kiddy, Master Kiddy and Snickers
    0.1 Dog Raven
    1.1 Budgie Parakeets
    2.0 Ratties

Thanks

I've gotten in the habit of quarantining ANY new rats before introducing them into my mischief/colony. < We have pets breeding for snake food. > I bathed him, but despite that, I didn't quarantine, and Butterscotch brought in lice. They were pretty easy to get rid of, but it took a little while of giving ivermectin to EVERYBODY! sheesh. Now I just quarantine to start off right.

Then the clean cages when putting them all together, too. They're busier running around sniffing all the new smells, so the newcomer isn't targeted for boxing right away.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06