Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

1 members and 2,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Today is a sad day

I'm going to be having one of my kitties put to sleep this evening, and I'm feeling very sad about it.

She's 15 years old and to be honest, she's been a very difficult cat to love. I've often referred to her as my "autistic" cat. She does enjoy being petted, but the minute you pick her up, she goes stiff.

She's always had potty issues, since a baby of not using the litter box reliably, which was tolerable when it was solid. For the past month, she's been having loose stools, which has not been fun. Because she's always had these issues, I've felt a moral obligation to provide a forever home for her.

In the last month, she's lost weight, stopped grooming herself, and had these potty issues. I decided that it's time to let her go peacefully before she deteriorates further. As difficult as she has been to love, I do love her and am finding myself in tears all day. My vet is the same one that didn't want to put down Noel the rat, but wanted to keep trying to save her. I really don't think that trying to help her and extend her life is really going to improve her quality of life.

I just needed to share with people who understood the loss of a loved pet.

Thanks

Re: Today is a sad day

*hugs* It's always a difficult decision. When we consider the last stages, we should consider whether we are prolonging life, or prolonging death. A big one for me is when a cat stops grooming...that often indicates that they have lost interest in even the most basic personal maintenance. It sounds like you are doing what's best for her. A gentle sleep at the end of a long life is the best gift we can give them.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through today....it is a tough decision to make, but the your kitty will be better off....if you need anything just ask!

Thanks

It sounds like you are making the right choice although I know it was a tough one.
    I commend you for providing a home for a cat with potty issues, many people wouldn't do that.

Thanks

Not much to say, just big hugs, Robin. I know how I would feel in your place...

Thanks

Oh Robin, big hugs hun. Jess put it very well but doing what is in the best interest of our pets does not lessen the pain any. You and your kitty are in my thoughts.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awwwwwww Robin! It breaks my heart to see you so sad. I wish I had the words to make it all better. I don't....but at least I have ears and big ol' shoulders. I'm always at the other end of the phone line if you want to talk.
    -- Judy

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Robin to make the decision to remove a beloved pet from our lives is one of the hardest decisions we will ever have to make. Take comfort in knowing that you shared your life for that period of time with an amazing animal. That you gave her hugs and scratches when she wanted them ,she found a loving home with you and you have given her what she was after. Letting her keep her dignity and grace as a creature of God is a blessing. They may be painful now but the good memories are what your cat would want you hold on to from the kitten playing with the Christmas ribbon to the content purrs on a rainy afternoon while sharing a good book like two old friends. I am a firm believer that animals go to heaven and just think when she get there what she'll tell God.

Kitty to God:"She did a good job."

comfort is a blanket provided by friends when the chill of life drives like nails.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

*big huuugs*
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Sorry you had to make such a hard choice but for the animal its best time comes when we can only do what is best for them tis the greatest gift one can give anohter to end their suffering in a humane manner when they no longer can deal with life and will just linger and suffer. Me and jo had to do the same with two of our cats she had for more then fifteen years a couple of years ago so we know what your going thru.Our prayers are with you in this hard time.
    Michael
    1.0 Het Albino BP ~ 1.0 Het Axanthic BP ~ 1.0 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Yellowbelly BP ~ 1.0 Cinnamon Pastel
    0.1 Pastel BP ~ 0.18 Normal BP's
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake ~ 1.2 BCI
    2008 BP Hatchlings - 3.4 Yellowbelly, 1.3 Normal

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes.Keep this in mind;it may offer a way to make him your friend." "Little girls like butterflies need no excuses."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast