Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,099

1 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RTB breeders?

Thanks

Question RTB breeders?

So I've been looking at RTBs lately, but I'm having a harder time finding breeders for them than I did for balls. I wouldn't be able to get one any time soon (or even in the next year) but I really like them, and would like to start learning more about the different localities and such. When I first started posting on here I was starting to lean towards a RTB, but then I realized how big they got! haha Not something you can sneak into a 12x14 dorm room (like my ball) Anyways, I'm just kinda looking for sites with some good information, and some reputable breeders that I can pester with questions until I am able to get one ^_^ Also, does anyone have pictures of their adult RTBs? I'd like to find some pictures of someone holding them, or with a good size referance, b/c I haven't been able to see one in person, and I'm trying to get a good idea of what a 7-10 foot snake looks like Thanks!! ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Re: RTB breeders?

I was freaked out by hearing they get 8 feet. I went to a expo, then saw a 8 foot albino one, and it didn't look very big... kinda like a 6 foot ball python honestly. It didn't look 8 feet long, and wasn't as fat as you think. I saw 5 year olds holding it

I got mine from select captive bred, he pretty much specializes in boas. His name is Nate, but he doesn't update his site very much. I got mine for 75$. His email is nposwald@selectcaptivebred.com if you wanna shoot questions, hes really nice and told me to email him if I have any questions, and threw in a free boa manual.

Thanks

yeah, and yours seems to be underfed and stunted, and it seems you were told wrong info... awesome, I'll shop there.

Why not check out one of our members, Jimi Reed jimisnakes.com, he's around on this forum quite a bit too, and many other member say he's a great guy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whyteboi
    I was freaked out by hearing they get 8 feet. I went to a expo, then saw a 8 foot albino one, and it didn't look very big... kinda like a 6 foot ball python honestly.
    I am not trying to attack you, but this quite hard to believe. A healthy 6' ball python is about 5 lbs, give or take. A healthy 8' boa is about 30 lbs, give or take. How do they look alike? I have no idea.

For the original poster. I would recommend just looking through yahoo and google images, as well as the photo gallery section of kingsnake.com. There should be more than enough photos there, and some should include objects for size reference.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

I've got Jimi's site already and a few others, I was just curious as to what the ppl here knew about the RTB world. I'm really hoping to hold one, or at least see on in person at Daytona, but until then, I've just been looking at the breeders pages, and trying to find out all that I can. ^_^

*Edit* I have a hard time with some of the google images b/c you never know how they take care of their snake...if it's over or underfed, how old, etc. I know I have seen a few posts of members RTBs, and was thinking someone might like to show thiers off
    ~ Shannon

1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)

Thanks

if you want to see nice pics of very well cared for snakes go look at either Vin Russo at Cutting Edge Herp (just wrote a great new boa book) or Gus Rentfro at RioBravo Reptiles. They breed mainly insular locales, but they have great info and great pics. A good morph breeder to check out is Jeremy Stone. Or go look at VPI or Snake Keeper.
    All breed boas, all know what they're doing.

Pics of my boas would be misleading because I have all dwarf boas. I keep only Nicaraguans, I have both normals and Bluefields locales. All of my boas, except for 1 candoia, and two of my rainbows are under 3 feet.

Thanks

Ah, thanks!! I had found RioBravo, but I didn't have the Russo site yet. ^_^

So the Nicaraguans stay pretty small then? You could still put your pics up, they would be kinda neat to see
    ~ Shannon

1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweets_4611
    Ah, thanks!! I had found RioBravo, but I didn't have the Russo site yet. ^_^

So the Nicaraguans stay pretty small then? You could still put your pics up, they would be kinda neat to see
    yes they stay smaller then Colombians for the most part. Buts nics tend to be more nervous or aggressive.

Not saying that is true for all nics, but that tends be the generalization versus Colombians.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't gotten so much as a hiss from my nic female.
    Nics stay smaller than a lot of boas. Females can give birth at 3' and still have healthy litters. I am all for the slow raising of dwarf boas. A lot of female nics won't even pass up 6' and almost none unless overfed will pass up 7'. Male nics usually are breedable at under 3' and will max out at about 5' with the rare 6' male being overfed, or atleast what I and many dwarf keepers would agree on. I have personally talked to some nic breeders that have 10+ year old males that are barely 4', a true dwarf boa if you ask me.
    Here is my baby nic female, I have seen baby boas that weigh 2-3X this girls 1.3 ounce body weight.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

my normal nics are not at all aggressive, but some are, just like some of any other snakes are.

real quick size comparison pics

2 month old Nic

2 year old bluefields

like I said I just snapped them off real quick, sorry for the quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast