Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

2 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Looking to maybe getting a BD..

I'm really thinking of getting a BD, these guys just look so damn cool and awesome. I currently have two Ball Pythons and I really enjoy them, but I am looking for a herp that is more active and for some reason I really like the BD. The plan would be to get a baby and raise it to adult hood. I only want one and don't plan to do any breeding at all with it.

Some of my questions are can you hold a BD, they look really pointy and would think it would hurt to try and pick one up.

Whats the general starting cost of getting a BD and all the cage items, I would need everything minus the tank and the heat light.

Are they violent, do they bite a lot? Are they hard to take care of, clean, etc.

I'm not looking for a huge essay, just some pointers on the more common questions, thanks!

Thanks

Re: Looking to maybe getting a BD..

I will be the first to say I'm no expert, but I did raise my BD from practically a hatchling, and did a ton of research and asking of breeders, so I can answer some of your Q's.

First off, yes they are really cool lizards and their human-like behaviors are a kick to watch. They tilt their heads to look at you and watch you as you move around the room.

Yes of course you can hold them...some of them actually really like it. Those spikes are more for the frighten-factor when they puff up their throats, and they are only a bit prickly. Handling a hedgehog is much more uncomfortable. Just be aware that little ones often start out really hyper and don't like the sight of that looming hand coming to get them, so move slow but steady at first and they'll get used to handling.

Basic gear needed, other than a 10-20gal tank for a hatchling and eventually a 50-55gal for an adult, would be a rock or log to bask on, maybe a half log for occational hiding, a small water dish (tho they mostly get water from their food and a light misting on top of their heads), and of course the UVB bulb. Beardies need a high amount of UVB as well as UVA. The best bulbs are mercury vapor, they can cost 30+, but last a long time...it's worth it.

Typically Beardies aren't at all violent. Since their instinct and defense is to freeze, they aren't lungers or biters at all. I say most, because my beardie turned out to be one of those few hyper guys who didn't take to handling despite great attention and care. That's OK tho...I traded him to a great guy for my baby BP.

The only other thing I would say, is that beardies eat a LOT. Not just the typical 5 or 6 crickets, but 10-20 a day PLUS the veggies. I fed mine Ectotherm Dragon Yummies and about 12 crickets every day, plus occasional waxworms and superworms when he was bigger.

Sorry it turned out to be an essay...I love giving advise on animal keeping when I basically know what I'm talking about.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

awesome post, thanks!

Thanks

An adult can do well in a 30-40 gal breeder. It is longer which is what they need. I have 4 right now. Really I have a 6 month male and 4 month female. I have two 2 month hatchlings that are my gf's birthday present. This is what I suggest for anyone getting a BD.

Juvie-Adult
    30 gal breeder
    160 watt Mercury vapor bulb (Trex UV heat)
    adjustable stand for light
    a log (basking)
    some type of slate rock under the log for shade and dulling nails
    a large cricket keeper
    Jurassic Calcium powder and vitamin powder.
    A spray bottle for misting
    food bowl
    temp gun/probe

They are super nice. I put them on their leashes and put them on my shoulders and walk up and down the boardwalk with them. Everyone handles them and they love it. I wish you the best on your BD purchase. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks

Yup, that list pretty much covers it.

I should have said, for adult cage, 30-55 cause they can live in the 30...I just got the 55 as a gift with the hatchling, and I believe strongly in giving any pet the best 'house' you can afford and have room for.

Lots o luck with the beardie!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

We have 2 Beardies, about a year old. They are 21" & 660g, and 16" & 300g (was sick alot). The biggest lives in a 75 gallon tank, the other's in a 40 gallon. 100W Mega-Ray MVB bulbs & 75W halogen bulbs for extra heat. Ours ate 70-80 cricket per day when they were growing!! We still buy crickets by the thousand. The biggest grew 1" per week for over 2 months!!! They live on slate tiles & Desert Snow (tiles don't cover the whole floor). They have PetSmart bonsai trees & sandblasted root basking spots.

We have leashes for them, but they're so mellow we don't use them much. Give them a warm spot (under a light, etc.) and they'll stay put.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Suriname Boa, 0.0.1 Corn
    1.1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.0 Red Tegu, 1.2.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas, 1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon

Thanks

70-80??? Geez...now I feel like I didn't feed mine enough. :eek:

Here's a pic of Bruce on his log.

Thanks

after these post and speaking with other members, gonna have to hold off on getting a BD, cost are just way too high for me to properly take care of it, maybe in a few years though, just not right now. Thanks for all the input everyone.