Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,477

1 members and 2,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

breeding questions

I have two females that are currently at 800-900 grams they are on a two rats a week feeding schedual and have been gaining weight quickly. my question is if i keep this up is there a possibility that they will be 1500g by november? and if so would it be ok to breed them ?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: breeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by johnabrams82
    I have two females that are currently at 800-900 grams they are on a two rats a week feeding schedual and have been gaining weight quickly. my question is if i keep this up is there a possibility that they will be 1500g by november? and if so would it be ok to breed them ?
    They might but on two rats a week which is a little excessive they might go off feed before then. So you might want to switch to one a week and see how things go. Theres no rush.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

oh ok ill tell you though one of the females is a monster she gets extremely aggressive about three days after she eats and you cant get near her I assumed this meant she was hungry so id feed her another. oh and these are small rats i think we weighed one and it was 80 grams.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yea some of them stay aggressive a couple of days after they feed. Its cause they feel vulnerable and feeding that much would make them way vulnerable. One 80 gram rat a week is great my grils range from 1200-3000 and they only get a 40-60 gram rat a week.

hope that helps
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks

I'd personally only feed one rat that size....actually a bit smaller if you have access to them. Make sure your temperatures are spot on and keep feeding every 5-7 days.... they'll get there on there own time...

A jedi once told me that a lot of girls will slow their growth once they hit approx. 1000 grams, and sure enough in my own collection....it took a few of my girls quite some time even with regular feedings to get over that hump....you very well may or may not encounter the same thing with yours.
    Jason

Thanks

thanks im still a little new. ive been keeping reptiles and inverts my whole life but this is my first attempt at breeding snakes so ive got a lot to learn still. so do you think they could make it to 1500 by nov. ? or should i invest in a breeding size female?

Thanks

thanks im still a little new. ive been keeping reptiles and inverts my whole life but this is my first attempt at breeding snakes so ive got a lot to learn still. so do you think they could make it to 1500 by nov. ? or should i invest in a breeding size female?
    They could definitely make it as long as they stay on feed and keep the weight gain steady. They may not be ready to breed come november...but January/February...they should be ready to rock.
    Jason

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Your talking about them doubling their size in 4 months. With the way you were previously feeding assuming they don't go off feed. I'll say no they want make it. If your going to get a breeding female do it now before people start cooling theirs cause one of two things will happen 1: you want find any or 2: you'll pay through the nose for her.

happy herping

Thanks

A jedi once told me that a lot of girls will slow their growth once they hit approx. 1000 grams
    Weird, I was told a very similar thing by a "jedi"..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petboy15
    Weird, I was told a very similar thing by a "jedi"..
    I think you're talking to a different Jedi in MD young padawan.
    Jason