Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 844

1 members and 843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Taming the mighty nile

I was just wondering if anyone else has a nile monitor they've managed to tame. My nile Ramses the Great has become my favorite pet, mostly because of the time and effort i put into turning him from a vicious biter into a calm peaceful animal. Niles are tricky animals, definetly not for the inexperienced but if you do manage to get one dog tame it is very rewarding.
    AGGGGHH MY SPLEEN!!!!!! -Kyle J.

Thanks

Re: Taming the mighty nile

How long have you had the nile? What type of enclosure and conditions are you keeping it in? The more information you can provide about your animal and how you keep it....the better everyone can help offer advice.

Thanks

Oh, i've had him for a long while. Don't really need advice as he is dog tame. Heck he's friendlier then my dog. Mostly i just wanted to drum up some nile discussion with others who actually raise them and had to go through the same process. There are so many people out there who are quick to say you shouldn't own them because of there size and temper but few with whom to share experience with.
    AGGGGHH MY SPLEEN!!!!!! -Kyle J.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zombiesatemyspleen
    Oh, i've had him for a long while. Don't really need advice as he is dog tame. Heck he's friendlier then my dog. Mostly i just wanted to drum up some nile discussion with others who actually raise them and had to go through the same process. There are so many people out there who are quick to say you shouldn't own them because of there size and temper but few with whom to share experience with.
    From my experience, if a monitor is 'dog tame'.....something is not right...that is why I asked how long you have had your monitor and how are you keeping it...just trying to spark discussion. A monitor allowed to live in appropriate conditions can be taught to tolerate a human, but by no means will it be 'dog tame'.

Most people that I know believe that nile monitors should not be kept by new monitor keepers because of their size and aggressive nature. But the negative stigma associated with niles originates from the fact that they have become 'disposible' within the reptile industry. They are bought for pennies out of Africa and massively imported into the US. Most are pawned off at reptile shows and pet stores to inexperience keepers that will most likely kill the animal within the first year. That fact is one of the main reasons that there are 'few' for you to share your keeping experience with.....98% of nile keepers do not keep their animals properly...the nature of the majority of keepers is easily shown by the fact that not a single soul in the US is working hard to breed niles at the moment...yet they are imported by the 1000's.

Monitors have been the most rewarding animal that I have keep. I hope you and your monitor are enjoying the experience.

Feel free to share some photos or descriptions of your animals and setups. It would be greatly appreciated (and a great platform for discussion).

Thanks

I don't think a tame nile (or any monitor) can be done. If you manage to never get attacked during its lifespan then you were either incredibly lucky or you did very well in managing and interacting with the animal. And what I mean by this is when you HAD to interact you took precautions to ensure an attack wasn't possible, or it was unlikely (you threw a blanket over its head when you entered the enclosure and etc.). No sensible person should ever own a nile or croc as a pet. A specimen? Yes. A pet? No.

The only reason I'd ever consider a smaller monitor as a pet (still wouldn't recommend it 99.9% of people and certainly not to the majority of people who actually buy monitors) is because I've kept reptiles for 17+ years and I am sure I can manage anything under 4ft long (would you rather be bit/attacked by an ackie or a croc?). Here's the thing, I've been considering a monitor for six months now. And I'll be ready to get one maybe next spring. It's a carefully calculated and researched decision. Most parents who, on a whim, go out and buy their 12-year-old a $50 Savannah because they saw a 10" lizard and didn't get hit with the reality of a 48" adult are going to end up with a dead lizard, or a lizard on craigslist, and certainly a disappointed kid.

I held a 5ft Ionides like a baby for over an hour and I still don't believe in tame monitors. When I went to put him down and his powerful, sharp claws gently grasped my arm for security, not even enough to leave indentations, I still thought, "wow, these are not pets." When I see Nile monitors going for $25 the reality of monitors really hits me. One of the most dangerous and least recommended monitor is the cheapest. You already have one and I'm sorry to soapbox to you but after all the research I've done, and all the monitors I've had the opportunity to interact with, I don't think anyone should be led to believe they can be tame. It's bad advice.