Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

1 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: First feed

Thanks

First feed

So my boa just completed his first feed with me. I thought the guy who sold me to it said he was feeding it a small adult mouse once every 10 days but after seeing how big a small adult actually is I knew that was too big so I went maybe half that size, which once I put it in there with him I thought might still be too big. After reading on here about them being such agressive feeders, I expected him to go straight for it and take it out, but to my surprise he didnt move an inch. I had to shoe the mouse in his direction and finally the mouse walked up to his face and he hit it immediately. The mouse stopped kickin in under 10 seconds so he had no problem taking it out. After it was dead though he just kind of had it in his coil and his head was kind of exploring everywhere. Looking at me, going over the mouse sniffing it almost like he was licking it. It might have taken him 5 minutes of this before he finally went in to eat it. I was a little skeptical whether or not he could after his delay, but once he started that thing was down in about 5 minutes. Pretty amazing. I havent put his hide back in that I used to shoe the mouse in his direction because when he was done with it he sat there and stared at me in a defensive position, so I am going to wait until the morning to reinsert that, but it was nice to see that mouse not go to waste because I got a little worried by his actions after he killed it. My BP usually gets right to work after he has killed his mouse. Anyone know why he might have been so curious after killing it? Was he thinking it might be too big? Worried with me watching? Or just somewhat normal behavior? I thought it might have been him thinking it was too big, but there was absolutely no struggle to swallow it.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy
    1.0.0 Colombian Boa possibly double het for albino stripe - no name yet

Thanks

Re: First feed

Mine refuses to eat if I'm watching him. He will just stare at me like "what do you want?". I usually turn off the lights and replace the lid, and he goes for it right away.

Thanks

Ok, maybe that was it because I had the closet light on and I was watching him just to be safe and the lid was open until he finished his meal just because I didnt want to disturb him by putting it back on and possibly freak him out. This was my first feeding experience with him or any boa in general so I wasnt 100% sure what to expect, but it was a little different than I thought I had read they usually are. Being a more outgoing snake I didnt think he would have much of a problem with me being there, plus his lack of a reaction to me dropping the mouse in really was unexpected. He had his head resting on his hide, his tongue was flicking some, but the mouse had to walk on top of his hide and look him in the eyes before he hit it, no hunting at all. After reading some cases on here of people having their boas practically jumping out of there tubs to get their food I was definately surprised by his lack of ambition.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy

Thanks

Well I hadnt posted a pic of him yet, and I just uploaded it finally. Its taken with my phone so its not the best but here he his.

~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy