Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,613

0 members and 3,613 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Bedding

Thanks

Bedding

So I just found some bedding, its called bone aid, calcium sand or something, comes in different colors, it sais its 100% ingestable,a nd digestable, in fact it increases calcium intake for the reptile, hold humidity, clumps and dry's when it gets wet for easy cleaning, and you can get it moist and mold like tunnels and stuff with it. I want to get it, but i wanted to see if anybody here has heard of it and if its good for geckos? thanx peeps

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1183735554796
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    3.2 bp-bonez, bonny, Klyde, Cheech, Chong
    0.0.3 cresties- Biggie, and Tupac, peetree
    0.0.1 leapard - littlefoot
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

Re: Bedding

sounds good, exept i dont think u want something that the snake can eat... ive eaten sand and it isent too pleasent i can tell you that. maybe one of smart people can help you more then me.
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks

No, it causes impactions which can lead to death. Not worth your money whatsoever. It also dries up Leopard Geckos' feet, so their shed will get stuck on. Toes can fall off from this, so the sand is definitely a no-no.

Slate tiles look great and work well for the Leopard Geckos. Cresteds you can just keep using Bed-A-Beast, paper towels, etc.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

it would cause impactions even if its digestable? and made with calcium, and it would dry there feet if it hold humidity? Im not trying to say your wrong just makeing sure
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

Once you get it wet(such as in a gecko's stomach) it turns hard, like cement and blocks their intestines. It can cause intestinal perforations(holes in intestinal wall) that can cause a full body bacterial infection(sepsis) and they can die.

And it doesn't hold humidity for beans. Calcium is dry, and when you add water, it's just wet, and doesn't dry out(think quicksand, or clay dirt when it gets wet, it's gross).

It's definitely not a substrate to use if you want your gecko to live for longer than a year. They don't live on sand in the wild anyway, and wouldn't come into contact with calcium sand at all. They live on hard, compact clay and rocky outcroppings in Pakistan, etc. The rough slate tiles would be more natural for them, and you could easily make ledges and different levels/ramps by gluing them together with silicone.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

well holy educated response batman lol, thanx man, it makes sense now lol. ill stick to paper towels, id just love to use something that looks nicer and doesnt take much long to clean than paper towels... u know?
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

Try those slate tiles. They are VERY easy to clean. Just wipe off with chlorhexidine, and scrub with soapy water probably once a month. Since Leopards like to pick their potty spot, you could easily just place a piece of paper towel down and you wouldn't have to clean often at all, just that one spot.

I know I've seen some really nice looking tanks done with slate. The person made caves, ledges, bridges, ramps, steps, etc out of pieces of rough slate. It looked very cool and would be something I would do for my Leo if I had the time

I'll see if I can find some examples for ya.
    --Becky--

Thanks

yea my brother just recently got a leopard and he used various things, bricks, slate rocks, paper towel, leaves, a plant looks nice, its cool too because now the gecko has a variety of things to walk on if it likes
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....