Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 528

0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Ball Pythons - Some things to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnme
    Jamie is giving out spankings???

I have been a bad girl...very, very bad.

Not what I meant, but OK!

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I must spread some rep before giving it to Jglass again.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Great post Jamie!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jglass38 again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    I have a plan for my normal hatchlings this year, that I want to sell. I am selling them with the proper enclosure.. it will not cost me much to buy a few tubs and furnish them with inexpensive hides, water dishes, etc. I will offer my customers the whole package.. (should the snake gods/goddesses bless me with the said hatchlings). Normals are too-often overlooked as byproducts of the morph industry.. I want to turn my hatchlings into quality pets.
    Knowledge is like lighting candles. Think of us small-hobby breeders as big candles; by teaching your buyers the proper way to keep these snakes, and house them, it is like they are lighting a little candle off of your flame. And hopefully kindling a lifelong inerest in correct keeping of these snakes..
    This whole thread was great and Jamie has really been on a roll lately , but the above quote touched me the most. Jennifer, I think that is one of the most awesome ideas. What better way to get someone started than to have all the proper equipment, a healthy baby, the babys records, the number of the local reputable herp vet and a link to this site

I for one am very thankful I found this site!
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

5. The Following User Says Thank You to catawhat75 For This Useful Post:

nucklehead97 (01-13-2015)

Thanks

Thanks again all! This is a great community and a caring group of people. Its heartening to see how many of us are on the same page and are intent on educating those just starting out. You guys (and girls) all rock!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I really love this thread. I had firsthand experience with clutches that went bad.. it cut deeply. I think that it also taught me what I hope people realize; these are living, breathing animals. Not eye-candy collectibles that will produce million-dollar babies overnight and make their owner rich.
    I have something to add.. I am reminded of last year, of seeing the last egg, that I was holding out hope for, go bad and die. When I cut open the egg and saw the deformed baby snake, all intact and looking like a BP, I learned something. It was the same thing that I learned last year when I saw my friend's mare going nuts after her foal was born stillborn.. these are Lives that we are solely responsible for, for causing them to be and creating them. The least we owe any offspring that we cause, is to find them a good home and keep them until they are ready for such a home.
    I have a plan for my normal hatchlings this year, that I want to sell. I am selling them with the proper enclosure.. it will not cost me much to buy a few tubs and furnish them with inexpensive hides, water dishes, etc. I will offer my customers the whole package.. (should the snake gods/goddesses bless me with the said hatchlings). Normals are too-often overlooked as byproducts of the morph industry.. I want to turn my hatchlings into quality pets.
    Knowledge is like lighting candles. Think of us small-hobby breeders as big candles; by teaching your buyers the proper way to keep these snakes, and house them, it is like they are lighting a little candle off of your flame. And hopefully kindling a lifelong inerest in correct keeping of these snakes..
    Great obervation !
    I learned this from my first boa that I purchased 16 years ago.
    The breeder tested my knowledge of the animal and after failing miserably he handed me a book and said come back in a week.
    I read that book front to back multiple times and returned and purchased the animal that I still have . You must have knowledge of proper care practices before a purchase. With sites like this theres no excuse to be uninformed. Great job!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Westcoast For This Useful Post:

nucklehead97 (01-13-2015),TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-22-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

heh, most people I know who breed manage to make enough money to sink it back into the snakes. If you can make it support itself, I think you are lucky. I am excited to breed my snakes, but I am content to sit and learn, gather up supplies for a few more years while my females grow. Thanks for the helpful sticky!
    1.0 Het Piebald (Lycaeus)
    1.0 Spider (V "Fawkes")
    0.1 Piebald (Fia)
    0.2 Pastel (Chalcomede & Daeneyrs "Dany")
    0.1 orangebelly (Secha "Veruca Salt")

R.I.P my babies
    Texas luecistic ratsnake (Ripley) 0.1
    Ball Python (Ariadne) 0.1
    Ball Python (Montreal) 1.0

Thanks

Jamie, that list is perfect! Working in zoos and pet shops I've seen too many people buying snakes and other reptiles as impulse pets or because their bratty kid screamed for them to get it. It's so sad that many people will still sell animals to those families just to 'make the almighty buck'. I still hear various people in the reptile store I frequent now talking about making fast money off morphs and it makes me ill...

Yes, I have plans to breed on a SMALL scale next year, but these animals are my beloved pets first and foremost. My main reason for wishing to breed is to obtain one of my desired morphs that I would otherwise NEVER be able to afford (Albino), and eventually to be able to obtain a Spider female for my pastel male to get my ultimate morph (Bee). Money, mostly to cover what is spent on breeding mice, equipment, and extra electric bill charges, is a secondary reason only and mostly appeals to my BF.

I have been doing research into the methods, problems, and expenses of breeding both corns and BPs for months now. I have the supplies for a hatchling rack and the mini fridge to convert to an incubator stored away. I also have similar plans to Jen for my hatchlings, corn or BP: regardless of whether they are normals, hets, or morphs they will go to new owners with a 12qt tub, small plant saucer hides, water cup, printed care sheet, record sheet, and a card with the local exotic vets, feeder supply locations, and of course this site address. Potential new owners will be questioned on why they want the snake, what they know about them, and what they would do in case of illness or injury at the least.

I only wish more people could understand that these animals are not 'cash cows' or trophies...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-22-2009)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Breeding Ball Pythons - Some things to consider...

Great post, I totally agree. I am a disabled man and I hate being disabled but it does alow me and my wife alot more time to spend enjoying, caring for, feeding time, taming time, studying and observing time with our animals.
    It is easy to get pulled into buying a beautiful animal and I try to educate people about animals we sale. we learn more each day by studying, talking & comparing our information with others as well as information we have gathered ourselves.

Snakes Species List
    Super Dwarf Retics 1.1 breeder!,Australian Spotted Pythons 1.1 breeding?, Ball Pythons
    0.1 normal oddball breeder!
    0.1 normal unproven WC breeder!
    0.1 normal breeder!
    0.1 goblin breeder?
    0.1 pastel breeder?
    0.1 "Het" pied breeder!
    0.1 ghost breeder?
    0.1 black granite?
    0.1 black back breeder?
    0.1 mojave 09
    0.1 albino 09
    0.1 reduced normal breeder?
    0.1 spider 09
    0.1 pinstripe breeder?
    1.0 mojave breeder!
    1.0 sable breeder!
    1.0 pastel breeder breeder!
    1.0 albino breeder!
    1.0 bumblebee breeder!
    1.0 pastel (pokey)
    1.0 "Het" pied breeder!
    5.5 babies (?=poss breeders, ! = Breeders, the symbols help me keep track of things)
    Boas, Madagascar Dumerils Boas 1.1 breeders!, Rough Scaled Sand Boas 1.1 breeders!
    My wife has lots of Beardies, ect.

Nice to meet everyone here and thanx!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to apocolypse For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-22-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    5. Time - This is an intangible but a very important one. Having the necessary time to make sure your animals are kept clean and fed and records are updated is paramount to your success as a reptile keeper and ultimately a breeder. I spend many hours per week cleaning and checking my snakes and feeders. Some weeks I don't want to deal with it but it absolutely has to be done. There is no room to say, I'll do it next week.
    This is a major one...i had just worked an 8 hour night shift and was coming home to go to bed. Went in to change the snakes over to daylight and noticed mites everywhere. I had to call work and take a day of leave and spent the next 12 hours cleaning snakes and tanks. By the end of the day i don't even remember going to bed.

Great post Jamie and hope people actually read and keep what they learn from it.
    ~Will

1.0 Argentine Boa
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    2.1 Kenyan Boas (1.1 anery)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    1.0 Colombian RT Boa

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast