Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

1 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Ball Pythons - Some things to consider...

That was awesome and very helpful!

I do have a suggestion. Maybe you could write up a post about for herp hobbyists thinking about breeding their babies and looking into morphs, what combos would be great to start out with. (I.E. Pastel, etc.) If suggestions are already covered in another post, hm, *goes to look*

Thanks

Good post Jamie.

I think everyone here can apprciate you taking your time to write something like this that is so helpful to people new and old to this hobby.

For new people thinking about breeding whether it be GTP's to ball's it can open eyes up.

Also for new people starting to breed....listen to the adivce of expierenced breeders....don't be a cowboy and do it "your" way.

Thanks again man, much appreciated.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 8b8ll For This Useful Post:

nucklehead97 (01-13-2015)

Thanks

Rah-rah, Jamie!

One thing also to think of.............what to do with the babies if you can't sell them??????

With balls, there aren't as high a number per clutch, as say with a litter of boas, but is the future breeder / entrepeneur willing and CAPABLE (with room, supplies, food/vet $$, etc.) to care for the babies for the 30+ years of their lives if they don't sell, (hets, or spider sibs, instead of visible morphs) or to see that they go to a responsible, properly prepared home????

Maybe not quite like pups and kittens or other pets, but personally, if/when I breed, I want to know that my efforts are going where they will be well cared for. Otherwise, I'm no better than the fly-by-nighter who is willing to sell a baby burm to a little kid, just to make $100.

I'm disappointed I wasn't able to breed Hera last season, but on the other hand, keeping a rack of 30 babies would have been difficult, room-wise. I now have all the room I need/want, and have used the extra time to become better prepared. One more season for Daphne, before she's large enough to try, and then next year I can try for a clutch of balls. Again, I have more time to get my baby rack all set up, get the incubator fool-proof, and more research, so I'm better prepared.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222
    Also before deciding to start breeding make sure your spouse/significant other is totaly on board. There is a lot of alone time in the snake room, a lot of time with just you and the snakes...not to mention all the time it takes to take pics, update feeding cards, update websites/myspace and scour the forums...If your significant other doesn't share your passion it will be difficult. I speak from experience.
    My Wife likes ball python's but doesn't share my passion, there is one exception though when I breed my lesser's in the future and give her the blue eyed lucy she's always wanted I think she'll be into my hobby(lifestyle) a little more.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

These are all things that have been on my mind lately....very glad to see someone post it up...and do such a good job of it, too! Thanks, Jamie!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

I really love this thread. I had firsthand experience with clutches that went bad.. it cut deeply. I think that it also taught me what I hope people realize; these are living, breathing animals. Not eye-candy collectibles that will produce million-dollar babies overnight and make their owner rich.
    I have something to add.. I am reminded of last year, of seeing the last egg, that I was holding out hope for, go bad and die. When I cut open the egg and saw the deformed baby snake, all intact and looking like a BP, I learned something. It was the same thing that I learned last year when I saw my friend's mare going nuts after her foal was born stillborn.. these are Lives that we are solely responsible for, for causing them to be and creating them. The least we owe any offspring that we cause, is to find them a good home and keep them until they are ready for such a home.
    I have a plan for my normal hatchlings this year, that I want to sell. I am selling them with the proper enclosure.. it will not cost me much to buy a few tubs and furnish them with inexpensive hides, water dishes, etc. I will offer my customers the whole package.. (should the snake gods/goddesses bless me with the said hatchlings). Normals are too-often overlooked as byproducts of the morph industry.. I want to turn my hatchlings into quality pets.
    Knowledge is like lighting candles. Think of us small-hobby breeders as big candles; by teaching your buyers the proper way to keep these snakes, and house them, it is like they are lighting a little candle off of your flame. And hopefully kindling a lifelong inerest in correct keeping of these snakes..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginevive For This Useful Post:

Skyecaitlin88 (08-22-2010),thumper151 (08-25-2010)

Thanks

Geeze Jamie you mean I can't buy a couple of snakes, breed em and become an instant zillionaire overnight???? Well dang there goes that plan!
    ~~Joanna~~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

nucklehead97 (01-13-2015)

Thanks

I fully agree with the post regarding the assurance that your spouse/significant other be supportive too, before breeding. My fiancee likes the snakes, but to be true, he "saw" breeding them as "a way to make back the money we spent on them." He is not the real owner/caretaker of the snakes; I am. I care for them and their feeders 100%. While Mark helped build the rack, I built the incubator 100% (well, with informational help from a few forum angels, hehe.)
    But as the eggs are incubaing longer, and he is checking on them daily, his thoughts are changing in a good way. He is more in awe of the life that our snakes have created, and sees it more for what it really is; not a way to make back spent money. But a way to experience playing a part in new life, and create more baby snakes so that others can experience the joy of keeping a well-started captive-born-and bred gem of a BP. .
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

Jamie Glass...you are the proper definition of contributing member

Thanks

*gives 5 star rating on this thread*

You nailed it Jamie! I wish people would understand that these are living, breathing animals that do indeed feel pain. They aren't just "money makers". I know of a guy who thinks he is going to "hit big" by "mass producing" his ball pythons and selling them on craigslist. Yes you heard me, craigslist. I know of his plans because sadly I know him in real life and he doesn't give two nickels worth of care about any of those snakes. To bad people aren't made to take and pass some kind of test before being allowed to own or breed an animal. To many people out there who just don't care, or care to learn the proper way(s) to keep any kind of animal/pet. To many people don't see the health and well being of that animal/pet being their responsibility.

Also Charlie you are right. It does help out a lot if your s/o knows what your plans are and it's even better when they are kind of in to reptiles too. I'm working on my guy. He's come a long way from hating snakes and thinking I was nuts for getting one to now "watching" them for me on cleaning day. He also will pet them. It also means a lot to now know that he will allow them to slither over the bed, his pillow, covers, etc. It was hard at first and still is in some ways to get him to "understand" but the snakes and myself are teaching him as we go.

What a great great great post!!!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast