Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

2 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wrinkled skin?

Thanks

wrinkled skin?

ok im sort of new to this but i just purchased a baby ball and i've had her for about 3 weeks, shes already going into her "blue" she has the milky eyes, and pale lookin' skin..but shes a bit wrinkled at certain sections of her body..and i view other snakes and they seem to be well rounded and dont have any wrinkles and that kind of scares me..some people are telling me its because shes going to shed and thats just the old skin getting ready to shed but on the other hand i was thinkin' dehydration..can someone please give me some feed back

**heres a pic of her below**

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Re: wrinkled skin?

I've noticed that mine gets a little wrinkly just before a shed. It shouldn't be anything to worry about, but just make sure that the snake has clean water available at all times.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Well they certainly do look more sort of wrinly and scruffy when their shedding.

If it is dehydration then the wrinkles normally run lengthwise along the animal.

Which way do they run on yours? It might also be helpfull if you could tell us the humidity of your tank and how you measure it to see if we can make sure he gets through his shed ok.

He certainly looks ok in the photo though.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Do you keep a water dish or bowl in the enclosure if so I am sure she will not dehydrate herself but the wrinkled skin is not an abnormal thing my BP is shedding right now and right after the wrinkled skin is when the skin started coming loose so don't worry give it a little time and I'm sure she'll be fine. But if you want take her to a exotic vet and get her checked out to make sure her weight is ok for her size and everything! Good Luck!

Thanks

ok i thought it might have been some use to included these with the 1st post so here are some pics i just took of her i don't know if you wanna call it wrinkled or rippled but it doesn't look normal to me...most snakes i see are well rounded and thick..mine on the other hand doesn't look like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Shedding - make sure your humidity keeps up.

When did the blue begin to fade?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

the blue faded about two days ago i hear the process can take up to 7-10 days..this is a whole new experience for me i feel like a father or something LOL!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would lightly mist her as you bump up the humidity in the enclosure. I suspect you're going to have a bad shed (not anything you did wrong). It's not unusual for the first shed with you to be a bad one.

She should start to shed in the next few days, and likely will have some stuck shed. At that time, here's a great write up on how to deal with it:
    http://www.8ballpythons.com/journal/stucksheds.htm

Thanks

Looks dehydrated to me. Like stated above you probably will have some stuck shed. So if i were you i would bump the humidity up to about 70%. Wil help out a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juddb
    Looks dehydrated to me. Like stated above you probably will have some stuck shed. So if i were you i would bump the humidity up to about 70%. Wil help out a lot.
    so if hes dehydrated how do you get him to drink?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast