Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Banded Water Snake

I am really interested in purchasing one of these. Really cheap and seem like a neat change of pace (from the more commonly kept snakes). Have any of you ever owned (or still own) one of these, or any type of Nerodia species? Do they really only eat small fish, or can mice be implemented? Is UV lighting really necessary, or can a standard flourescent bulb suffice? I know they can be nippy and flighty, no need to mention that part. What would you recommend as far as terrarium goes? Would a normalized snake habitat (aspen, branches, a hide or two, fake foliage) and a large water dish do?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Banded Water Snake

I'm gonna take it that these aren't worth my time...

Thanks

I don't think that they aren't worth your time, it's just that these snakes aren't as popular as ball pythons or corns and not many people will know that much about it
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

That's why I asked, due to the lack of care sheets on the net. I figured someone has to have one...

Thanks

I've kept the water snakes that live in the wild in NY but only for a short time, I imagine many of the water snakes are similar... yes they are nasty. I had a 20 gallon tank with half land half water, all natural stuff from my backyard like dirt and moss and rocks and pond plants. I kept it in a shed outside with the door open during the day so it got natural lighting (I call it my nature shed where I keep things that I catch outside)... I would imagine it would appreciate a basking light. Since they are out and about during the day I think a UV light would be needed (as opposed to nocturnal snakes which dont really need one).

For any type of water snake I would say the bigger the tank the better. They love to spend time in the water but they also like to sit on land and bask or hide. Would be an awesome opportunity to make a really realistic looking tank. As for food, try different things and see what works. I've had some go for fish, I imagine they would also go for live rodents.

I've never kept mine more than a few weeks so I can't be of *too* much help, but good luck.

Thanks

I've had mine for about a year and a half now. It was my first snake and it happens to be a wild caught. The most disgusting animal I've ever owned but cool none the less. They eat small fish and I've heard worms also but never tried to feed her one yet. They eat every few days as opposed to once a week and they defecate about once a day it seems and they can be quite messy with it too. She hates to be handled so I only bother her during cage changings and what not. I would stick with ball pythons and other snakes like corns because they don't smell nearly as bad as the water snakes.
    ~Jack~
    2.1 bps (Monty, Ceasar, & Honey)
    1.0 colombian red tail boa (Shadow)
    0.1 banded water snake (Homer)
    1.0 leopard gecko (Gex)

Thanks

I don't know how closely related they are to the Northern Water Snake (I'm in MI), but my experience has been that the ones I've caught and tried to tame never settled down. They hated being held, they emitted a disarmingly awful musk, and bit at me as strongly and frequently as they did the moment I caught them. I'm not one to steer someone away from an interest of theirs, but I couldn't find anything redeeming enough to keep at it with them...side from my boy-ego that told me that I could convince the snake I wasn't going to be anything but cool. Well, the snakes' temperaments won Good luck