Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,414

2 members and 1,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Help with wandering garter..

Hey guys.
    So Ive had my wandering garter snake probably since December.. a little before even.
    and for several.. several.. SEVERAL months.. possibly 4 or more.. the little guys has 2 small bump looking things on its side... they arent rough.. they dont have any kind of odd appearance... doesnt seem to hurt the little guy.. but they are there.. you can only see it or notice it.. when you are looking for them.. or have him in a light good enough to see it.. from the dark color and reflecting.
    Any Ideas??

cage temps and everything are correct..
    no mites or anything..
    I thought maybe skin irritation from the water bowl that he feeds out of with the fish... possibly splashing on the flooring and maybe causing problems.. but it doesnt get really wet in there or anything.. im just confused

Thanks

Re: Help with wandering garter..

I love garters, and think a lot of people pass them by without realizing how great they are for a first snake. Is your garter WC or CB? How old is it?

It's hard to say with the info given, and it could be quite a few things. The first thing that came to mind was broken ribs that have healed, as it is a relatively common occurance in snakes of all sizes. I wouldn't be too concerned with it unless they start to change (get bigger, more show up, abscesses etc.).

On a side note, can I ask why you choose to feed your garter fish? Garters (especially wandering garters) have quite a varied diet in the wild, and therefore are very easy to convert over to mice. Fish (especially goldfish) are not the best feeders for snakes. They can harbor parasites, and if you are feeding fish worth feeding to your snake, it is much more cost effective to feed f/t mice anyway.

-Evan

Thanks

It is currently eating rosey fish. small rosey fish.
    its to small of a wandering garter to feed pinkies even.. it really only gets down the very tiny fish.

Its not my first snake.
    I have 2 Ball pythons... two Redtail Boas... and a baby Burmese.
    I just had never actually came across this particular thing with the bumpy situation.
    thanks so much for your opinions on what could be the matter though.

Thanks

Yeah, feeding baby garters can be tricky from size alone. I have raised a few neonates up to a size that they could eat pinkies in about eight months on slugs only. They can down pretty big meals, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours could take day old pinks right now. Either way, I would recommend switching it over to mice as soon as you feel it is ready. Good luck with him .

-Evan