Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,256

2 members and 1,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

new rack... few ?

i just got a new rack...

i was just wondering if anyone uses an acurite at each self? i am not really sure the difference in temps from top tub to bottom cause i have nothing in the top right now. i figures i would keep my ball when she gets bigger, since heat rises, the top tub would be a little warmer. right now my ball is in the middle shelf and the corns are on the bottom. the corns temps stay steady at 86-88 and the tub with my ball stays about 91. humidity is an issue right now i am trying to get it down but no luck.

also by putting the probe in the middle of the rack would it give me better control then on the top or bottom? i have no animal in the tub with the probe but eventually will.

thanks for the help i am just trying to get a feel for how this thing is gonna hold heat and humidity and adjust as needed.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Re: new rack... few ?

is that an NS rack? i have one. With this rack in particular i have the tstat probe on the bottom shelf on the heat tape, foil tape it on. The top shelf is gonna be the warmest, by a few degrees only, just so you know.

Thanks

I forgot to tell you that you can keep accurites in each tub if you wanted too.

Thanks

what do you set the thermostat to? i temped the flex with my temp gun is it's like 102-04, and the tubs are at 88. didn't realize there was that much difference.

i am thinking of laying some 3" flex down the bottom back of each shelf to get some good belly heat. think it'll work better?
    -Kevin

Thanks

You have just back heat right now?

If so I'd take the 3" and lay it more towards the front, use the back heat as the cool side and the front as the hot side. With the Corns i'd just use the back heat and shoot for mid 80's or so in the back, the front part will naturally be a bit cooler. This way your ball python will have a cooler gradient in the back and a hotter one in the front.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

yea just back heat, two 11" strips of flex running down the back.

but if you put the 3" flex in the front, you'll lose alot of that heat out of the rack. with it in the back (maybe like 3/4's back) the heat will be retained in the rack. so i can get a 92~ floor temp and a nice and toasty ambient. then the cool side will warm up alittle (hopefully 83-84).

i plan on just using this as a corn rack (or rat snake rack) and when i get my funds up a little more (and a few more BP's) i will get another rack just for BP's. so right now it's a temp home for my lil girl BP. i think i am going to put dome 3" flex down on the top shelf and see how the temps hit there, then if it's good maybe do the other shelfs.

this is all just planning in my head, but any other ideas are welcome.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    what do you set the thermostat to? i temped the flex with my temp gun is it's like 102-04, and the tubs are at 88. didn't realize there was that much difference.

i am thinking of laying some 3" flex down the bottom back of each shelf to get some good belly heat. think it'll work better?
    I havent used that rack in a while. But also it depends on where your probe is. I had mine on the very bottom right in between the two strips of flexwatt. I set it to 96 and it would be about 93 and and 81.