Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

4 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Eastern Milks

Thanks

Eastern Milks

My dad captured a milksnake in my grandparents shed, thought it was a corn... but since there are no corns in NY, and because of a million other differences I could name between the two, it's a milk

I can't even remember how long I've had him, it's been at least 2 or 3 years.

And luckily... he LOVES f/t pinkies.

Here he is in the beginning...

A bit more recent...

He has since been moved into a larger cage than this but it looks about the same, just with cocofiber instead of shavings

Isn't he a beauty? His name is Checkers. His colors stay about the same with every shed, though he's getting less intense red and more maroonish... I hope he doesnt go totally brown like I've seen some adults.

And here is another one! My dad's assistant found it on her driveway. His name is Napoleon... he has a bit of a complex due to his size and feels the need to be nippy.

He's a little more finicky than Checkers but will still generally take f/t pinkies.

Just thought I'd share, I dont hear of many people having these snakes unless they are caught in the wild. I don't know the sexes of my snakes for sure... if they end up being male and female I might try breeding someday once they are big enough.

Thanks

Re: Eastern Milks

Glad to see you are having success with f/t pinkies and Great looking snakes.

Lots of people have difficulty getting some kingsnakes to take mice when they are young......but once they grow up a bit, it is an entirely different story

Thanks

i luv checkers' coloring
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

It's interesting because with Checkers I never even had to try to wiggle the mouse, he's always had a really strong feeding response as soon as he sniffs it. He loves to eat, as a matter of fact, when my dad brought him home he had a small garter snake in the same bucket... needless to say he came home with one chubby snake!

With Napoleon sometimes I have to leave it overnight for him to eat in peace but in the morning it's nearly always gone.

And thanks

Thanks

[QUOTE=weirdbugladyHe loves to eat, as a matter of fact, when my dad brought him home he had a small garter snake in the same bucket... needless to say he came home with one chubby snake!
    [/QUOTE]

nice, healthy appetite!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Eastern Milks are one of my favorite colubrids. Oddly enough, it's also one of the few native snakes here in Maine, which shows exactly how hardy these snakes are.

Rick
    Richard Sisco
    SiscoReptiles.com

Thanks

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates them

I've gotten into a big argument with my boyfriend's uncle, because he lives in the adirondacks of NY and he keeps claiming he catches corn snakes all the time, and has one as a pet. It is obviously a milk snake ... finally I told him to check the anal plate, if theres a split its a corn if not its a milk. He finally conceded he's been wrong all these years His has a bad temperment and he calls him "little scumbag", my little one is a bit mean but Checkers is fine, a little quick but never tries to bite.

I hardly ever see them around here anymore... I've gotta do some more snake hunting.