Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

1 members and 2,780 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day gecko

Thanks

Day gecko

Anyone have any of these guys? I think they look really neat, there fast too from what I hear. I tried to do a search but didnt turn up too much on them since there is so many diff kind. Can you tell me what the most common one is called? and how there temperment is?
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Re: Day gecko

I've had a pair of Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis aka Madagascar Giant Day Geckos, that was before I sold all of my geckos. As far as temperment I would say they are "okay"....my female was very flighty, and she nailed me a few times while trying to get them out of their enclosure for cleaning...but the male was a joy to handle...in fact I'd let him out in my herp room and he'd climb the walls and eventually jump back down to me.

Their care is pretty simple: Temps between 75-90F, humidity between 40-75% acheived through daily misting, water dish available at all times, a tall enclosure with a lot of climbing limbs (bamboo, pvc, etc.) Mine ate a diet of crickets, phelsuma diet (powdered food to mix w/ water), and fruit baby foods sparingly.

Here are a few photos of when I got mine:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showp...26&postcount=1
    Jason

Thanks

Now if you had to chose would you go with Tokay gecko's or day gecko's? I like the way both of them look, and I hear there both nippy. Thanks for the info btw J.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBallPython
    I've had a pair of Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis aka Madagascar Giant Day Geckos, that was before I sold all of my geckos. As far as temperment I would say they are "okay"....my female was very flighty, and she nailed me a few times while trying to get them out of their enclosure for cleaning...but the male was a joy to handle...in fact I'd let him out in my herp room and he'd climb the walls and eventually jump back down to me.

Their care is pretty simple: Temps between 75-90F, humidity between 40-75% acheived through daily misting, water dish available at all times, a tall enclosure with a lot of climbing limbs (bamboo, pvc, etc.) Mine ate a diet of crickets, phelsuma diet (powdered food to mix w/ water), and fruit baby foods sparingly.

Here are a few photos of when I got mine:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showp...26&postcount=1
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Seeing as I've never kept tokay geckos...I can't comment there...but I know in Chicago the NERD booth had a REALLY tame tokay gecko...and I'm sure it took a lot of work.

I'd say go with either.
    Jason

Thanks

don't phelsuma have rather thin skin, and if you want to handle them, there's a chance you'll tear if off. for handling i'd say tokay, because although they can be mean, from all i've read phelsuma are in no way handling sort of creature.

Thanks

Really skin ripping and such, wow i've never heard that good tip though quick Thanks. I know both are hard to hold but I look forward to the challenge because they're both so great looking.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    don't phelsuma have rather thin skin, and if you want to handle them, there's a chance you'll tear if off. for handling i'd say tokay, because although they can be mean, from all i've read phelsuma are in no way handling sort of creature.
    I've heard that before...but I never really grabbed mine...the male I did let out to wander...and then gently grab him to put him back in the enclosure. They seemed real hardy to me....but are truly more of a display gecko.

The thing with tokays would be them tearing YOUR skin. Those itty bitty baby tokays have quite the bite.
    Jason

Thanks

I was considering a Day Gecko, but after much research and reading...no thanks. These are in no way a beginner gecko (not saying you are a beginner) IMO. They require special lighting, caging, ect.

http://www.daygecko.com/

Day Geckos in Captivity - Leann & Greg Christenson 2003

Order that book read it and see what you think afterwords. I ordered it and read it and decided I would do myself and the gecko I was going to get a favor and hold off. I didn't want to put that much work into a gecko...thats just me though.

Good Luck!!

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Thanks Mike, after rethinking my decision and looking at the care a little more in depth your right, they require alot of care. Tokay here I come. I hear they're nippers, but im willing to work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 8b8ll
    I was considering a Day Gecko, but after much research and reading...no thanks. These are in no way a beginner gecko (not saying you are a beginner) IMO. They require special lighting, caging, ect.

http://www.daygecko.com/

Day Geckos in Captivity - Leann & Greg Christenson 2003

Order that book read it and see what you think afterwords. I ordered it and read it and decided I would do myself and the gecko I was going to get a favor and hold off. I didn't want to put that much work into a gecko...thats just me though.

Good Luck!!

Mike
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Thats great, I'd LOVE to get a Tokay sometime soon....Kara...hook it up.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast