Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

3 members and 2,942 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Crested or chameleon?

Just want to get everyone's opinion, I know that chameleons are not keen on handling, but how often would it be ok to handle them?
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Re: Crested or chameleon?

i've been wondering the same thing.... matt's alway's wanted a cham. but cresties are so cute...
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

My chameleon is only handled during cage cleaning. They do not like to be held and do not tolerate handling well. If you want a 'display' type animal, get a chameleon....If you want something to take out and play with, get a crested gecko.

Zeus doesn't even like it when you look at him.....he gets angry

Thanks

I say get a crestie. I have heard Chams are really hard to care for, but you may be prepared for that. Crested Geckos tolerate handling very well.

Oh and Daniel, That pic makes me want to toss a cricket in his mouth lol.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy
    I say get a crestie. I have heard Chams are really hard to care for, but you may be prepared for that. Crested Geckos tolerate handling very well.

Oh and Daniel, That pic makes me want to toss a cricket in his mouth lol.
    ha ha....he wanted fingers...not crickets

IMO....Veiled Chams are pretty easy to care for if provided with the proper setup, so I would recommend them to beginning cham keepers. However, I believe you still need to have some reptile experience before getting a chameleon.....definately not a beginner reptile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    ha ha....he wanted fingers...not crickets

IMO....Veiled Chams are pretty easy to care for if provided with the proper setup, so I would recommend them to beginning cham keepers. However, I believe you still need to have some reptile experience before getting a chameleon.....definately not a beginner reptile.

My son Loves that pic. He wants me to print it out for him so he can put it up on his wall. I have never seen a 4 year old kid with so many pics and posters of Insects and Reptiles. Its awesome.

I have seen so many Chams in petco for adoption in horrible set ups after people have brought them back. I almost took one the other day that looked like death was breathing down its neck, it was pale and just lying on his water dish. I tried to get them to mist him, and tell them they don't drink from water dishes. It was really sad, they just left him there. I just don't know anything about them so I felt like it would be a lost cause.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

lol that pic cracks me up. I've also been reading that adult chameleons need a 2'x2'x3' cage, sound about right? I think all the talk about chameleons being REALLY hard to care for is a little far fetched, yes they need high humidity, UVA/UVB bulbs, etc. but from what i've been reading it's not all that bad.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

I'd go with cresties. I love mine, plus they're so much easier to take care of. With chameleons, you have to gutload crickets, dust the crickets, have supplemental lighting, etc. With cresties, you can solely feed on CGD and they require no extra heating/lighting. Plus they're quite docile when they get used to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    I'd go with cresties. I love mine, plus they're so much easier to take care of. With chameleons, you have to gutload crickets, dust the crickets, have supplemental lighting, etc. With cresties, you can solely feed on CGD and they require no extra heating/lighting. Plus they're quite docile when they get used to you.
    My brother has a crestie and think they're awesome, problem being unless I come up with someway to cool the room in the summer it hits 85* and up, there kinda out of the picture. Cresties are neat though, but after seeing daniels, and me wanting to except the extra responsibilty the chameleon seems much better.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris B
    lol that pic cracks me up. I've also been reading that adult chameleons need a 2'x2'x3' cage, sound about right? I think all the talk about chameleons being REALLY hard to care for is a little far fetched, yes they need high humidity, UVA/UVB bulbs, etc. but from what i've been reading it's not all that bad.
    That sounds about right on the cage size. Chameleons are hard to care for in general; however, some are alot easier to care for than others, so that is where people get confused. Care requirements among chameleons vary from each species too so be aware.

Besides the veiled, I also kept pygmy leaf chameleons for a while. One evening my a/c went out in the snake room. I caught it before the room temps got above 90 and killed off my entire collection, but it was already too late for the pygmies. Very intolerant of error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast