Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

1 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow... lol

Thanks

Wow... lol

So about three days ago, I was going to pick up my 4ft. Columbian red tail boa named Scarlet. Normally shes the most docile snake, very calm, and loves to be held. But for some reason, I started to move the lid and stuff, and she started darting around, and then when I moved my hand down near the glass, she struck at it!
    I have no freakin' clue as to why she did so. So I went and got her two medium size rats and fed her, and hopefully that helps.
    She stays in her water dish all the freakin' time!

I dont have a hide box in with her, I was told that it really wasnt needed for her. But I do have a hide on my very young red tail.. and shes always laid back. Do you think if I provide a hide box it will help everything, and get her to leave her water dish more?? I love her to death, and I really dont want her constantly striking at me either lol.

Thanks

Re: Wow... lol

i don't really know anything about rtb's. did something in her setup change? do you see any mites in her water? getting ready to shed maybe?
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess
    i don't really know anything about rtb's. did something in her setup change? do you see any mites in her water? getting ready to shed maybe?
    I'm with her, sounds like mites at the least. Although boa's can cary IBD or may get RI's but soaking in the water dish could for sure be a sign of mites.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris B
    I'm with her, sounds like mites at the least. Although boa's can cary IBD or may get RI's but soaking in the water dish could for sure be a sign of mites.
    rule out IBD as the reason for the weird behavior. Boas do not show that they have IBD
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Shes not getting ready to shed, It wasnt long ago that she had shed.
    And I checked for mites and all that, none. I keep up with all my snakes like that.
    I was told that she possibly could be getting to warm during the day, because summer around my house sucks. So Ive began resetting the temp. In the room.. the ambient temp and all that. And Hopefully she'll get where shes not so weird.

Now all I gotta do is suck up the courage to reach in there to get her out, after that scare haha oh well

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

And sometimes snakes just have grumpy days.

Welcome aboard!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Ha, so I hear!
    I cant wait until I finally build up the courage to reach in there.. shes just the biggest snake ive had, so im thinking.. wow, this is really gunna suck when she bites me lmfao.

I started to reach in there earlier.. and she didnt act like she did the other night, but she did start breathing heavier I could tell... I duno, Maybe give it another day or so, for her food to process lol

wow im a lozer

Thanks

Try using leather work gloves to take her out, and let her get re-adjusted. As for the soaking and hyper activity, I think it could be because the temp. was a little high, as you suggested. She might be soaking to cool off.

Thanks

holy hell i think it's a little extreme to jump to the ibd conclusion, where did that come from. not everything is related to sickness and parasites, while a good many things are, not everythin is. there's a good chances that it's either temp or weather related. i know that for me my snakes are on edge because the temp keeps going up and down here in new england. it'll be 90 one day, then 50 and raining the next, so they're a little restless around here.

Thanks

I agree with Qiksilver, also Tmlowe is right.
    Chris I'm sure you know what IBD is in a sense, but maybe not completely about it. I can't tell you enough how throwing that out there up-set's people... specially when it's mis-informed.

Here are a few links that cover what IBD is, how it is transmitted, etc.

http://www.pkreptiles.com/informatio...ticles/ibd.asp
    http://www.pkreptiles.com/informatio...dcasestudy.asp
    http://www.pkreptiles.com/informatio...s/ibdvirus.asp

Okay back on subject. Eric snakes just like us have bad days. Yours may just be going though a hunger period or a growth spurt. As odd as it sounds since they are in our houses and not out side directly in it, but I've noticed that the weather does has a bit of a roll in it too. I'm sure she will calm back down to her normal self, but till then maybe just wear some gloves when getting her out or just leave her alone at that time and come back to her later.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast