Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

2 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Giant python pool

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Too funny! I love the 2nd pic! All he needs now are some snakey sunglasses and an umbrella drink!
    That is a great idea! Now I gotta photoshop something!

Quote Originally Posted by carmich132
    That's an awesome burm you've got there, but my question is (b/c I have zero experience with giants): how exactly do you "check his mouth and teeth to make sure he didn't break anything" without him making a pincushion out of your hand/head? Are they that gentle of giants that you can poke and prod without them getting aggravated?
    With him I use a large pair of rubber coated tweezers and can get him to open his mouth for a few seconds is about all he will tolerate, but it is long enough to see any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Wonderful pics! Great that you had help there with you for him being as big as he is and you are so understanding of why he nailed you. It looks like he's really quite relaxed and enjoying his cooling swim.
    This boy requires two or three people when being carried and if feeding there has to be at least one other person in the house. I have a rule that I stick by that any snake over 7-8ft we use two handlers, if an accident occurs (yes it has) then there is someone there to help. He grabbed my girlfriends hand and threw a couple of coils around her arm earlier this year and wasn't going to let go (she didn't realize she smelled of rat on her hands and went to pick him up from the cage. He thought it was food and grabbed her. She stayed calm and called for me, I got him to release using cold water from the tap, her hand looked like she had gotten a tattoo in the back of a 4x4 on a dirt trail, but she jumped right back in the saddle the next day and was handling him again. Since then I use a hook to get his head and part of his body to clear the enclosure, then I take him out. This way he has learned to associate the hook with "not feeding time", if he doesn't see a hook then it's "feeding time".

Quote Originally Posted by _BoidFinatic_
    Thanks for the nice photos. I would say he's longer than the 11' mark, maybe by a few feet more.
    I don't know his length for sure, it's hard to get an accurate measurment on him, i'm gonna try the string thing or the measuring program.
    Brian
    1.5 BP (Nani, Aphrodite, Achilles, Ciabella, Aurora, Sapphire)
    0.2 BCI (Kaiser, Medusa)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Nefertiti)
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Ambrosia)
    1.0 Blood Python (Sakari)
    1.1 Burmese Python (Zeus, Ajax)
    www.bncsnakes.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythons Rock
    This boy requires two or three people when being carried and if feeding there has to be at least one other person in the house. I have a rule that I stick by that any snake over 7-8ft we use two handlers, if an accident occurs (yes it has) then there is someone there to help. He grabbed my girlfriends hand and threw a couple of coils around her arm earlier this year and wasn't going to let go (she didn't realize she smelled of rat on her hands and went to pick him up from the cage. He thought it was food and grabbed her. She stayed calm and called for me, I got him to release using cold water from the tap, her hand looked like she had gotten a tattoo in the back of a 4x4 on a dirt trail, but she jumped right back in the saddle the next day and was handling him again. Since then I use a hook to get his head and part of his body to clear the enclosure, then I take him out. This way he has learned to associate the hook with "not feeding time", if he doesn't see a hook then it's "feeding time".
    Right on, brother. We do the same. Our burm doesn't come out unless both of us are home just in case. You must respect the animal.

I'm glad to hear your girlfriend handled the tag well. While our burm hasn't gotten either of us yet, I am hoping that when it does happen, we will be cool about it.

Lourdes has lunged at me before, but it was my fault and he wasn't moving very fast...kind of a "Augh! You scared me...shoo!"

Can't wait til we get a house and can set a "snake swimming pool"!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Cass and Brian, I just want to commend you (and your partners), for your committment to safe handling practises with your giants. This is the sort of information that should be out there for our members who either have giants or are contemplating purchasing one, to read. Respecting your large snakes, working with them using safe and sane practises, sharing your common sense wisdom here at BPNet....it's just a pleasure to see!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Glad to see I am not the only one with those rules. I have 3 burms all through rescues and we have only had one incident but it is always better safe than sorry. When handeling the burms or red-tails minimum 1 other person in the room or vacinity and I have a sink right there just in case.

Here, Here for safety when handling giants!!!!
    Rick

I'm 42 feel like I'm 70 and act like I'm 12
    Ball Projects, and too many other animals to list, 2.0 human children 0.1 supreme ruler aka wife

Thanks

Good for you too Rick! Not only for being a smart and safe handler but for rescuing burms who so often and so sadly have nowhere to go.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Cass and Brian, I just want to commend you (and your partners), for your committment to safe handling practises with your giants. This is the sort of information that should be out there for our members who either have giants or are contemplating purchasing one, to read. Respecting your large snakes, working with them using safe and sane practises, sharing your common sense wisdom here at BPNet....it's just a pleasure to see!
    Thank you very much! We really enjoy the giants, right now we have two (my big normal and a 4ft albino) Just having common sense and plans in place can make all the difference, paying attention to the animals mood, staying on top of there needs makes housing these guys fun but as safe as possible, there is always the room for error but if you have plans in place and actions to take you shouldn't get into a position you can't get out of. Safety, Safety, Safety! and you will enjoy these beautiful animals.

By the way this Thursday I will be doing an outreach in my daughters 5th grade class. She is going to be showing and talking about her juvenile BP and my GF and I are going to bring in the big guys (Burm, Big boa, Dumerils boa, Black King, and an adult BP to show size difference) we got permission from the teacher and principal
    Brian
    1.5 BP (Nani, Aphrodite, Achilles, Ciabella, Aurora, Sapphire)
    0.2 BCI (Kaiser, Medusa)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Nefertiti)
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Ambrosia)
    1.0 Blood Python (Sakari)
    1.1 Burmese Python (Zeus, Ajax)
    www.bncsnakes.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12