Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,496

2 members and 3,494 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Baby deer tale!!

I was doing my regular rounds looking for herps or anything else cool and I found a baby deer. I investigated it and it was very skinny. I'm going back by tomorrow morning to make sure it is ok still. There are lots of deers around and I haven't seen any dead ones for a while so I'm guessing it isn't abandoned(sp?). I was told by a wild life person that it is likely ok but to check on it every couple days to make sure. I'll keep everybody updated

I was wearing gloves when I nudged it to make sure it was still alive
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Baby deer tale!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    I was doing my regular rounds looking for herps or anything else cool and I found a baby deer. I investigated it and it was very skinny. I'm going back by tomorrow morning to make sure it is ok still. There are lots of deers around and I haven't seen any dead ones for a while so I'm guessing it isn't abandoned(sp?). I was told by a wild life person that it is likely ok but to check on it every couple days to make sure. I'll keep everybody updated

I was wearing gloves when I nudged it to make sure it was still alive
    Jake its not a good idea to even go close to a baby deer as mom might totaly abonding it from the fear of smelling your scent.I understand you wanting to make sure its ok .This might help you find a spot where you can not be easily seen by the deer and watch the area with binoculars.I am sure mom is close by.One thing i forgot in some states its illegal to disturb the wildlife,i would hate to see you get in trouble.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

The wildlife rehabber I talked with said it wasn't a good idea. He also said that most moms won't abandon the babies unless they are dead. I was about 2' away when I saw the baby deer. Pretty hard to see unless you are really looking at the ground. As I said, I'll go back by tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. The deer in the area are pretty used to people. You can usually walk within 15-20' of an adult without it running. Now that I look back on it. I probably should have just walked away but I was worried since it didn't even look up at me like they usually do. I got everything ready just in case it is abandoned.
    ~Jake~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    The wildlife rehabber I talked with said it wasn't a good idea. He also said that most moms won't abandon the babies unless they are dead. I was about 2' away when I saw the baby deer. Pretty hard to see unless you are really looking at the ground. As I said, I'll go back by tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. The deer in the area are pretty used to people. You can usually walk within 15-20' of an adult without it running. Now that I look back on it. I probably should have just walked away but I was worried since it didn't even look up at me like they usually do. I got everything ready just in case it is abandoned.
    Jake first off this shows you have a real heart when it comes to animals .Now the reason why the baby did not move was its instinct as it thought you were danger.Try to stay a safe distance when you go by that area if its even there next time.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I will. I'll keep everyone updated as I get new info on it
    ~Jake~

Thanks

Jake it's perfectly normal for the mother deer to leave her baby alone like that and for it to stay perfectly still while she's off feeding. Do check back in a day or so, but it's probably quite fine. Likely momma deer was nearby keeping an eye on you until you left and she could retreive her well behaved baby.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Probably. I already saw a deer in the yard tonight as well as a wild turkey. Judging by the pics of young deer I saw on the net, this baby should be up and walking pretty soon.
    ~Jake~

Thanks

At birth a baby doe weighs about 4 1/2 pounds while a buck weighs 5 1/2 pounds. At the time of birth, the doe may return to a preselected spot or she may give birth wherever she happens to be. The fawns are born over a period of time that may extend from ten minutes up to two hours.

As soon as the fawn is born, the doe licks it dry with her tongue, Even before it can walk, the fawn in a matter of minutes seeks out the doe's udder and starts to nurse. The doe remains lying down so that the wobbly young can reach her nipples.

By the time the fawns are twenty minutes old, they can walk slowly on very shaky legs. The doe, as soon as possible, will lead her fawns away from the place of birth where her body fluids have soaked into the earth and may attract predators.

When a suitable place of concealment is reached, the doe leaves her fawns and moves off perhaps 100 yards away. The fawns in their spotted coats are almost impossible to see and are almost odorless. The doe comes back five to eight times a day to nurse the young and then leaves again. She always remains somewhere in the area where she can see if danger approaches or can hear the little ones if they call to her.

After two to three weeks' time, the little ones are strong enough to follow the doe when she feeds. They then begin a process of self-weaning. Imitating their mother, the fawns taste various types of vegetation. As they increase this type of food intake, their demand for milk lessens and soon they are completely weaned. Before it is a week old, a fawn can easily outrun a man.

Some interesting info about whitetail fawns. It should be able to walk unless it was literally just dropped which is unlikely. More likely it's just doing what it's supposed to do.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Ok, thanks Jo. I'm sure it was just trying to hide. Its kind of hard not be seen when you are a 5 lb+ deer laying in a GREEN grassy area
    ~Jake~

Thanks

LOL well it doesn't know that! Actually to it's natural predators it would be hard to see apparently. The spots break up it's shape, the stillness doesn't alert a predator and baby deer have no scent.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast