Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

2 members and 3,004 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Performing Surgery on myself (kinda)

I've had an ingrown toenail for a few days now. Originally we thought we had gotten it all because the pain stopped, but it came back like no other and it has been hard for me to walk these past two days. My mother said she would dig it out when she brought home some lidocane (sp) a numbing agent, because she said the pain of going in and digging the nail out would be too painful. Well I haven't been over there and tonight I decided to do it myself, without lidocane. I got a pair of tweesers and a pair of small scissors and went to town on my toe.

Anyone else ever have a really bad ingrown? How did you get rid of it? Also, any tips on how to prevent one. This was really really painful and I'd rather not go through it again.
    Last edited by Jay_Bunny; 05-23-2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Performing Surgery on myself (kinda)

The only way I know to prevent them is to trim your nails in a manner that they wont grow that way. So that means no picking at them if that's a habit of yours, b/c thats how most in-growns are caused.

I know, I've done that same procedure on myself before! LOL

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

*cringing... feeling dizzy... passes out*
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Well it hurt like heck but I think its all out now. If its not, I'm off to see my mother tomorrow and hope she brought the numbing stuff. The toe already feels better. Its a horrible hack job though. I'll get my fiance to clean it up nice and neat tomorrow afternoon.

I do tend to pick at my nails. Its a horrible habit and I need to stop. Maybe I'll do what I'm doing to my fiance to make her stop picking at the edges of her fingers. Put tape on them! My toe is still throbbing, but hopefully that's the pressure leaving the toe.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I'd done the same thing more times than I care to remember. I finally went to a podiatrist, who performed some minor surgery (it's been years, I don't remember exaclty what was done) and I've been free of the problem since. I do remember a large pair of scissor-looking things...
    Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer but wish you didn't.

Thanks

i'm the king of ingrowns..............and you are insane! no way can i dig them out myself....i go to the podiatrist.....we know each other on a first name basis ........my whole family makes fun of my feet...................not my best feature!

but i know all about the pain your experiencing......i've worked before all day with them, and i don't sit in an office, im up and down telephone poles all day....imagine that pain!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

When I had mine done in hospital ( I'm such a girl - apparently :eek: ) they removed a slice of the nailbed down each side of the toe after ripping the existing nail off with what looked like pliers. I got to sit up and watch as long as I promised not to flinch or kick them.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del
    When I had mine done in hospital ( I'm such a girl - apparently :eek: ) they removed a slice of the nailbed down each side of the toe after ripping the existing nail off with what looked like pliers. I got to sit up and watch as long as I promised not to flinch or kick them.

dr del
    thats how they remove them......................they numb you with like 5 or 6 needles ............trust me, in the past 2 years i have had about 5 of them.........it got so bad with me that they put acid in there so the nail would not grow back.............working like a charm so far..................i feel like a freak talking about this
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

my husband gets ingrown toenails really bad too. he's had them removed on both big toes several times by a podiatrist, by his dad, by himself, etc. they have been better since the podiatrist started doing it because he did remove a nice slice of the nail from each toe to help them from coming back. i gotta admit--seeing this done several times, i'm quite glad it's not something i have problems with!
    - Emily

Registered User Squishy Burrito's Avatar
    Thanks

I removed my own once using an exacto knife and a tweezer hurt like H@*&. I also once knew a girl who had her big toe nails comletely removed surgicaly in a manner that they will never grow back. Her feet look realy wierd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast