Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

1 members and 3,008 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Female beardy question

I have recently rescued a female Beardy. She's digging and I feel some possible lumps in her belly. They could possibly be eggs. My question is do I need to provide a box of substrate suitable for her to dig and lay eggs in? she is currently on newspaper and doesn't have anything available to try to bury eggs in. Any opinions?
    A few dogs, a bunch of chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 Pygmy goats

Thanks

Re: Female beardy question

Get her a lay box ASAP or just a big pile of dirt in a corner and cover her tank while she lays. If she doesn't feel comfortable, she can become egg-bound and die. I also highly suggest you freeze all her eggs as it's very possible whatever male she was with is related to her. I would leave the lay box in there all summer as it's highly probably she will lay 3-7 clutches.
    Sara Gatto
    www.MezcladoReptilia.com

“Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.” -Eric Hoffer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mezclado_Reps
    Get her a lay box ASAP or just a big pile of dirt in a corner and cover her tank while she lays. If she doesn't feel comfortable, she can become egg-bound and die. I also highly suggest you freeze all her eggs as it's very possible whatever male she was with is related to her. I would leave the lay box in there all summer as it's highly probably she will lay 3-7 clutches.
    Great advice on getting some substrate for her to lay in, she definitely needs it if she really is gravid. A couple questions though Sara. Why should he freeze the eggs? Why would the sire probably be related to her?

-Evan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jamison
    A couple questions though Sara. Why should he freeze the eggs?
    -Evan
    Be thankful that she didn't tell him he should bash them in with a hammer; she's sweet like that.....
    Sam Mounts
    Gecko Den

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Den
    Be thankful that she didn't tell him he should bash them in with a hammer; she's sweet like that.....
    What say we try and keep this on the friendly side of family friendly? If we keep things that way from the start it might avoid problems further down the road.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

In my experience, rescues usually come from pet stores orginally and petstores buy entire clutches at a time. Since she is gravid, she was obviously near or with a male, probably either at the pet store or the previous got a 'deal' when buying two and housed together. Even if that is not the case, you really have no idea who the father is and with the gene pool of beardies being with it is, not to mention the market, hatching completely unknowns is a bit of a dee-dee-dee. lol.
    Sara Gatto
    www.MezcladoReptilia.com

“Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.” -Eric Hoffer

Thanks

I just felt your suggestion to be over-the-top with the information that was provided by the original poster.

-Evan

Thanks

I'm sorry if i offended anyone, that's just been my experiences and advice [given to me] when dealing with the same problems in the past.
    Sara Gatto
    www.MezcladoReptilia.com

Thanks

I guess I should have added some info on the rescue. I got her from a friend who work at Petco. This particular store has a decent herp section. He sold the BD to a lady about 2 years ago. She only had the one lizard, and it was well kept. I introduced the female BD to my wife's male BD about 30 to 40 days ago, so the math kinda works out. I was able to go out and get the needed stuff to make a good sized laying box for her that night. I left her in the laying boxed overnight, and she dug in the box like a mad woman. She kept me up most of the night. The next morning she had covered up her hole and was ready to get out. That afternoon I was able to dig the eggs up and move them to a incubator. She layed 22 eggs that night :eek: and I felt no more lumps in her belly. I plan on candling the eggs after 1 week to check for fertile eggs. I'll update when I know more.

I took no offense to any of the comments made. I should have given more information when I made the original post. Sorry for causing some confusion.
    A few dogs, a bunch of chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 Pygmy goats

Thanks

Congrats on the eggs! Keep us posted on their progress. How is mom doing by the way?

-Evan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast