Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,806

1 members and 2,805 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Horrible experience with a nile

BLEH, yesterday I can't believe i forgot to put a clip on my nile's cage. and Yep, one got out. Unfortunately, they are only 10-12", most of that being tail and not easy to find in my maze of tanks. Thankfully, there is no way to get out of that one room, so I looked for a couple hours, left out a pinkie in a hide and went to bed. In my experience lizards and snakes won't be found until you lay some bait and they are hungry.
    The next day I found the young'un in a rodent glue trap. :eek: No idea how he got into the bathroom. I was so devastated, I thought he was dead. But nope, they are too hardy. A nice warm soak in the sink and some mild soap and he came off the trap fine. Even strong enough to latch on and gnaw at my finger. Yes, i do realize I should use gloves with them, but they are too young to break the skin yet and gloves were too clumsy for this.
    An hour after getting back to basking, he had a nice, big meal. Thankfully there was no lasting damage, just some sticky residue that another soak took off.
    No real reason for this story, just figured it might help someone avoid something like this in the future. He could have easily stuck his mouth to the trap or tried to chew out and seriously hurt himself. Monitors are fast and as wily as a snake. Use sturdy clips and never let your guard down!
    And yes, I am ready for when they get large. I have successfully handled savannas, caimans and iguanas of adult size.
    Sara Gatto
    www.MezcladoReptilia.com

“Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.” -Eric Hoffer

Thanks

Re: Horrible experience with a nile

Sara, I'm so glad you got it off the trap with only a good soak. How many babies do you have?
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Ya, I'm glad the worst we use is glue traps. ><
    I just have 2 right now. From what I have read, it is best to get them in groups and raise them together if you ever want to breed. Since it's rare to find adult Niles for sale [at least in good condition] and hope they are compatible with each other and the right sex.
    Sara Gatto
    www.MezcladoReptilia.com

“Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.” -Eric Hoffer

Thanks

Good luck with them!
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright