Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

1 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Mealworm Colony

Thanks

Mealworm Colony

I started off my colony with 100 mealworms. Most of them have been fed off to my leo, Chibi, but a few have become pupa and a couple of beetles. From 100 mealworms I now have, 4 beetles and 10 pupa. My colony is on its way to producing me some wormies.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between male and female beetles? I have four and there are two that are bigger than the other two. And when can I expect them to start producing babies once they become black? (two are still brown).
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Mealworm Colony

The larger beetles are females. They start to lay eggs within days of emerging as adults, but you won't have large mealworms for at least a couple months, so be sure to have another supply until they get up to size. I would recommend letting at least a dozen or so more worms pupate to get a steady supply in the future, and replacing them with each new batch of worms.

-Evan

Thanks

Re: Mealworm Colony

I have a few hopeful worms in the container that I suspect will pupate soon. I'm starting to be able to recognize when a worm is about to pupate. They don't crawl around as much and when you pick them up, they wiggle in a way that the pupa does. I spotted at least 2 worms that have become sluggish, so I'll check tonight and tomorrow morning for more pupa.

I will be getting another 100 worms today from the store, so I will have a steady supply of worms until my colony gets going.

Thanks for the help!
    Under Construction.....