Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

0 members and 2,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: '07 Jungle Jags are here!!!

Congrats Ben and Justin!!

That jag seems to have a lot of patterning on him. Can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks

Very pretty! That baby in pic #3 is very nice! I understand the colors will change as they mature, but is there a way to tell if he'll be more white vs. more of a yellow?

I think they're very pretty snakes, but I'd buy something more bright yellow or actually black and white. What sort of breeding should I look for?

R
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314
    Very pretty! That baby in pic #3 is very nice! I understand the colors will change as they mature, but is there a way to tell if he'll be more white vs. more of a yellow?

I think they're very pretty snakes, but I'd buy something more bright yellow or actually black and white. What sort of breeding should I look for?

R
    Good questions, and it is very tough to say. First of all, as far as I know this is the first breeding of a genetic red phase jaguar coastal to a jungle, so we don't really know how the silvery looking ones or the red ones will turn out. Red coastals usually have much better color and contrast through out life into adulthood, so we are hoping that will carry over into the jags and jag sibs. We shall see. As for nice yellow, we have some jungles that have pretty nice yellow (feel free to check out our website to see more pics), but if you are asking about yellow jags...as far as I have been able to tell, that too is pretty tough to predict. One way to do it might be to buy a yearling that has the color that you like, but that will cost you more. Otherwise, keep your eyes open and watch how different breeders babies develope from different clutches and after a year or two of watching, buy one from a pairing that has produced babies that you like. Getting a trophy carpet is a pretty tough thing to do since they change so much in the first year, and sometimes keep changing for years. The way we have gone about it has been to buy multiple babies as hatchlings and raise them up and then keep the ones that look best, breed them, and then hold back the best again. That route takes years, but it sure works!!! Anyway, thanks for the kind words...and good luck on your search!

Thanks

Ben, thx for taking the time to explain. I totally understand the selective breeding, and that they change color. I'm just starting the digging into the JCPs, so am in the learning and asking stage.

I understand that the white ones are pretty rare, still. Correct?

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314

I understand that the white ones are pretty rare, still. Correct?

RuLyn
    Whites are fairly rare for jungles or for jags, but a few have been produced of both. For jags, I have yet to see any that remain white looking as adults, they usually go at least somewhat yellow. For jungles, there are a few lines of ivory jungles that stay pretty white into adulthood, but they are fairly rare, and some brown up or yellow up. Also takes line breeding and a bit of luck.

As for getting the jungle bug/morelia bug...I know what you are going through They are addicting!!! Keep asking questions, you will never regret taking the time to learn all you can, and there are lots of knowledgeable people around on forums that are happy to talk snakes as long as people will listen!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12