Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: rack is worse than i thought

well i sure appreciate all the help on this and if anyone feels 3/8" is too much space... PLEASE SPEAK UP.

thank you all... and as joe's sig says
    Quote Originally Posted by joe's sig line
    "Don't point a finger, Lend a hand"
    "A problem well talked about is a problem half sloved"
    i appreciate you all being so supportive of our little rack and for talking this all though so well
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Aleesha. I don't think that your snakes could squeeze through that gap. But I wanted to give my input on a stop for the front of your rack. My first two racks that I built used to be in my house. At that time my kids were younger, and I worried about them opening tubs, so I built a device to lock the rack so that they couldn't get the tubs open. I have attached a picture, but essentially all it is is a 1x4 with two hinges and a circular locking device. The locking bar rotates 90 degrees, and I positioned it so that the tip of the bar would go into the shelf. Then I made a small slit about 1/4" deep in the shelf for the locking bar to fit into. The kids couldn't get in when it was locked, and in your case, the snakes would not be able to poush the tubs open. If you have any more questions, let me know.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc
    Aleesha. I don't think that your snakes could squeeze through that gap. But I wanted to give my input on a stop for the front of your rack. My first two racks that I built used to be in my house. At that time my kids were younger, and I worried about them opening tubs, so I built a device to lock the rack so that they couldn't get the tubs open. I have attached a picture, but essentially all it is is a 1x4 with two hinges and a circular locking device. The locking bar rotates 90 degrees, and I positioned it so that the tip of the bar would go into the shelf. Then I made a small slit about 1/4" deep in the shelf for the locking bar to fit into. The kids couldn't get in when it was locked, and in your case, the snakes would not be able to poush the tubs open. If you have any more questions, let me know.
    Tim...cool idea! Have you patented it yet?
    Sean

Thanks

tim,

what a GREAT idea!!! my hubby will love that... as he adores hinges. the man is unhinged in real life and i think that's why he loves to add them to things he's building LOL

i'll show him this thread when he wakes up. he worked all night and just got home an hour ago...

YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

That my friend is a great idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by muddoc
    Joe

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sweet Tim that would also keep little hands from pulling out tubs while I'm not looking..

Good Idea!
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

i have some good news. we have a huge closet in that front room where the rack is sitting now (135g tank in there and my new mosaic... so it'll be a little sitting room) and so my hubby is converting the closet into a snake room.

in the summer we can leave the closet doors open for better ventilation and in the winter the doors can be closed (as they are vented doors) to keep in the warmth! i'll put a little light on a timer so they have their day and night cycle...

i love it when stuff comes together!
    in light, Aleesha

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    i have some good news. we have a huge closet in that front room where the rack is sitting now (135g tank in there and my new mosaic... so it'll be a little sitting room) and so my hubby is converting the closet into a snake room.

in the summer we can leave the closet doors open for better ventilation and in the winter the doors can be closed (as they are vented doors) to keep in the warmth! i'll put a little light on a timer so they have their day and night cycle...

Good news indeed .
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess

Awesome...we want pictures (before and after)... <<wipes drool off chin>>
    Sean

Thanks

you got it!!!
    in light, Aleesha

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast