Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

2 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Rattler question

I person on another board I post on said her husband saw a rattler in the yard but didn't kill it (that's apparently her idea of what you have to do ) because the dog would have gotten involved too, so he just took the dog inside and let the snake go (yay) They want to know if it is going to come back... There's no way to know that is there?! Apparently they dont' see many snakes at all, but never before have they seen a rattler in the yard. The head was described as the size of a man's fist... input?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rattler question

Its hard to say if it will come back or not. I have had some people say they wont after being mesed with and others say they will come back if its in their path. May I ask where she lives? The size of a mans fist is pretty big for the head but I have seen them that big in captivity.
    nada

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PJ FF
    Its hard to say if it will come back or not. I have had some people say they wont after being mesed with and others say they will come back if its in their path. May I ask where she lives? The size of a mans fist is pretty big for the head but I have seen them that big in captivity.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were exaggerated, or maybe he has small hands they're in Georgia. I think I'll tell her not to sweat it... someone else mentioned mothballs would keep them out!? really?

Thanks

Moth balls? - No. Head the size of a man's fist? - Possibly. The eastern diamondback's range does extend into Georgia, but likely an exaggeration. As far as it coming around again, if there is food (usually rabbits for EDBs) and plenty of places to hide, it may not have ever left. Without these things, it will not be hangin' around. Chances are they may never see it again even if it is still around.

-Evan

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jamison
    Moth balls? - No. Head the size of a man's fist? - Possibly. The eastern diamondback's range does extend into Georgia, but likely an exaggeration. As far as it coming around again, if there is food (usually rabbits for EDBs) and plenty of places to hide, it may not have ever left. Without these things, it will not be hangin' around. Chances are they may never see it again even if it is still around.

-Evan
    also something to consider.. If their house is elevated off the ground...Its getting warm time for mothers to leave the den. If they have a den under their house they could be seeing loads more. But the chances of that are slim to none. Just another possibility
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

It all depends if there is a source of food around like lots of mice and rats running around, or if there is alot of shelter for them to hide around like junk around the yard.

Thanks

ask her if they like mice and rats in/around there house? cause if they don't then having the snake is a good thing to keep the rodent pop. down around them. also mention that the snake is just as afraid of them as they are of them.
    -Kevin

Thanks

just hope the dog doesn't find it
    -Kevin

Thanks

Apparently the dog is keenly interested in it and that is the biggest fear at this time... the kids are teenagers, I believe... THey said that they kept a neat lawn and didn't see a lot of critters in the yard..

thank you guys so much for all you info! I truly appreciate it! (and I'm sure so does the person with the rattler problem)