Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,799

1 members and 2,798 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Womas?

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Womas?

Just curious who has them and if anyone can seem to find a good care sheet for em. Seems to be very little info around about their care.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Re: Womas?

Mean. lol, sorry Jaker...I'm not a big help on this one.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

I would love to get into breeding them and black headed pythons, but sorry man i have no info for ya, just future goals.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Just curious who has them and if anyone can seem to find a good care sheet for em. Seems to be very little info around about their care.
    We have one - I'm not a breeder, just an owner. We purchased him from the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley.

We've had our male (Corky) for a little over three years. He's in a custom 40" x 17" x 14" enclosure.

The temp gradient is roughly 80 to 89 degrees. Humidity is about 40 to 45%.

Our male took awhile to get onto F/T mice. Other than that, feeding response is excellent.

He is probably the most docile of our snakes. He has never struck anyone and is pretty laid back - does not seem to stress easily.

Links

Info 1

Link 2

Thanks

skiploder's second link is good for straight up captive care stuff and is probably one of the best ones I've seen. Although I don't have any, theyre one of my not far future projects, because although they're primitive pythons they are supposedly terribly intelligent and rather personable.

Thanks

I only have a pair 1.1, but great snakes. No problems feeding womas, they are food fanatics. They can be pretty nippy when little and before reaching adult size because of the food reaction to everything.

But both of mine are adults now and are pretty docile. Make sure your hands are clean before any handling, if you have been handling other reptiles or rodents etc they will smell them on you and decide you must taste good...lol

My female

Pic 1

Male

Pic 2

Courting pic

Pic 3

Sorry this pic is so crappy, but I wasn't about to interupt them!

Pic 4

We keep our temp set at about 90F.... it's around 84F on the cool side. That seems to keep them happy.

Hope that has been of some help.

**edited for picture size by dr del**
    Last edited by dr del; 04-30-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Scott,

I have been checking into a few womas lately and wanted to get your opinion on the different locales of them. I have heard that they vary greatly in appearance from locale to another. Ones such as Uluru and Tanami come to mind.
    Just wondering if you had any first hand experience with them from down under.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPenn
    Scott,

I have been checking into a few womas lately and wanted to get your opinion on the different locales of them. I have heard that they vary greatly in appearance from locale to another. Ones such as Uluru and Tanami come to mind.
    Just wondering if you had any first hand experience with them from down under.
    Hey Micheal,

I didn't work with them at all in Oz. I've gone on field trips up and down the Queensland coast, but I have never hit the center of Australia or The dessert regions. Been out west in Queensland where you find storr's monitors and Ackies in the summer when it was 130F in the day time and it's a very dry arid area, but didn't see any womas or more to the point blackheaded pythons.

What I'd call nice womas here, come from Todd Trowbridge (Where our male originates from) and Miller line womas (Which is where the female is from.)

I've seen a few other lines where the banding into between the red bands is very pale white like... I think those are nice too, but I don't know if they brown out as they age.

Todd's line to me seems to have a very smooth look, soft appearance, but very nice. The miller line seems be very distinctly marked, intense defined banding and bright coloration. IMO.

You can kinda see it in the pics I posted, Todd's male we have seems to have a richer red band, but is not bright like the female inbetween the banding, but the Miller female we have seems to lack the red banding (Has an orange band instead, one way to describe it), but has the brighter color inbetween banding. More like a bright yellow inbetween the banding.

We are seeing if combining the two lines can improve the best elements of both these two different lines. Only time will tell.

I think Franz herp also have great looking womas. If they are still doing womas.

Hope that helps in some way.

Either way, nothing has a more personal character and level of intelligence then a woma imo. The ability of a woma to explore even the most small details in a way to want to learn is something only woma owners can probably attest to... imo.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Womas are fantastic - the poor man's blackheaded python, an absolute no-brainer to keep. I got pick of the clutch from 2 Barry Miller clutches a few years ago & they're just some of my favorite snakes ever, hands-down.

I have them set up in CB-70 boxes on aspen, basking spot 90, ambient ranges from 80-85. They eat everything (I usually feed PK) and they are some of the hardiest, low-maintenance snakes & just a joy to keep.

Womas are finally very affordable for the most part, and I think we'll see more & more people keeping them in the future. GOBS of personality once you get past the feeding response...did I mention how fabulous they are to keep? They are another perfect pet python...not too big, not too small, easy to feed, easy to breed. A+ critters across the board.

I need to take some new pics of mine.

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KLG
    Womas are fantastic - the poor man's blackheaded python, an absolute no-brainer to keep. I got pick of the clutch from 2 Barry Miller clutches a few years ago & they're just some of my favorite snakes ever, hands-down.

I have them set up in CB-70 boxes on aspen, basking spot 90, ambient ranges from 80-85. They eat everything (I usually feed PK) and they are some of the hardiest, low-maintenance snakes & just a joy to keep.

Womas are finally very affordable for the most part, and I think we'll see more & more people keeping them in the future. GOBS of personality once you get past the feeding response...did I mention how fabulous they are to keep? They are another perfect pet python...not too big, not too small, easy to feed, easy to breed. A+ critters across the board.

I need to take some new pics of mine.

K~
    There you go, the perfect endorsement of Miller line Womas and womas in general.... and they truly are a joy to keep. They have also been described as a species that literally comes out of the egg ready to eat! LOL
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast