Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

1 members and 2,941 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question I could use a little help

So, even though I've been doing really well with chameleons, snakes, gators, yatta yatta I've run into an issue. I just bought a baby veiled chameleon from NERD, they're awesome, but in any case I think there's a problem. It's a feisty little guy, but it's WICKED clumsy, and seems to have some issues climbing, grasping onto it's leaves and vines, as well as just moving. I'm thinking it's a calcium deficiency. However, on the same note it appears the little guy has something wrong with his mouth as well. When he opens it to hiss or eat a cricket it seems as though it's sticky or not opening all the way. I'm not sure - I'm just asking for some tips or advice. I know the whole "take it to the vet" is coming, but they won't see me for under 250 bucks and I only want to do that as a last resort. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Well that's interesting...

Thanks

Re: I could use a little help

If you just got him from NERD, have you contacted Kara or someone else at their facility to ask them about it? They'll probably be willing to give you some advice about it. I would e-mail or call Kara and see what she has to say.

--Kim

Quote Originally Posted by twiztid
    So, even though I've been doing really well with chameleons, snakes, gators, yatta yatta I've run into an issue. I just bought a baby veiled chameleon from NERD, they're awesome, but in any case I think there's a problem. It's a feisty little guy, but it's WICKED clumsy, and seems to have some issues climbing, grasping onto it's leaves and vines, as well as just moving. I'm thinking it's a calcium deficiency. However, on the same note it appears the little guy has something wrong with his mouth as well. When he opens it to hiss or eat a cricket it seems as though it's sticky or not opening all the way. I'm not sure - I'm just asking for some tips or advice. I know the whole "take it to the vet" is coming, but they won't see me for under 250 bucks and I only want to do that as a last resort. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twiztid
    ... but they won't see me for under 250 bucks and I only want to do that as a last resort. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    ???? $250?!?! My vet charges $35 for a visit. I know some charge more...but where the heck does a number that big come from?

I wish I were more help, but I know nothing of chams. I concur with Kim, though...give NERD a call and see what advice they can offer.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Crazy cash isn't it? I called and they were like "blah blah blah no guarantees but we'll take your money blah blah blah" so I'm just tee bit mad about that. I think I'm actually going to give NERD a call, drive up there today, and try to do an exchange for another chameleon. It's a shame though, I feel bad watching this guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

sounds like metabolic bone disease which is caused by a calcium deficiency.

how long have you had the chameleon? they have extremely specific needs and are quite prone to calcium deficiency. is there any other vet in your area that you can take it to? the $250 minimum is a load of crap.
    - Emily

Thanks

I honestly don't know, I asked around and my friend david who has a gecko or two told me about "his" vet that knows a bit about reptiles - needless to say I wasn't thrilled about that. I know about the whole meticulous husbandry needed for chameleons, it's just frustrating because it comes from such a reputable place and I've NEVER encountered this type of problem even in average pet shop purchases. The guy is just wicked clumsy, weak grip, looks like he's trying to swim when he's trying to walk. And it's tough to feed him too. I don't wanna wait for the third strike in this instance.

Thanks

How are you keeping the chameleon(type of lighting, temperature, enclosure size, enclosure type)? What are you feeding (type,size,etc.)? How does it get water?

Problems with chameleons are husbandry mistakes 95% of the time.....the other 5% is due to chameleons being chameleons, some are just prone to problems.

Thanks

I have both the uvb uva bulbs. Have them set up so that the uvb runs for 6 hours the uva runs for 6 with it to increase heat, and then at night I use a blacklight bulb, so it doesn't disturb them and keeps the temperatures up even a tad bit because it drops a bit in my room. I have an automatic misting system which runs 3 times daily for 2-3 minutes depending on which chameleon. The diet consists of crickets, 'pillars, and wax worms. The crickets have been fed mustard/collard greens and commercial cricket foods. The enclosures for the chameleons are screened on each side with a thicker screening on the backside to provide a grippier/sturdier backing for branches to rest against. The temps are usually right around 78-80 in the day with low 70's in the evening. I offer the little guys food every morning and evening. Believe it or not but the more mature ones are all well established with human activity and do not mind taking a trip on me or my friends heads from time to time. In any case, I've had this new chameleon since tuesday evening. So it's too soon for a husbandry issue of my own to effect him - I think??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

you can find a list of herp vets by state at arav.org.
    - Emily

Thanks

Wow thanks, I appreciate that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast