Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

2 members and 3,001 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

The Story of Swamp Thing!!!

Howdy Doody every body,
    Hows things? Well enough of that formal stuff, I have a presentation for a school tomorrow and wanted to get some local stuff. Some of you may know i am involved with the Connecticut Amphibian Monitoring Project here in good 'ol CT. There are sites in the state which i am a coordinator for one of them and one of the jobs is to go and see what is in the various wetlands.

So i went for a walk at 8:30 tonight to a DEEP kettle pot vernal pool, yes at night, i waded in (which i haven't been brave enough to wade in during the day yet). It is a cool place with the peepers callin and all. So i go in to the "marsh" which had floating islands and fallen underwater trees. I found some peepers, a monster pickerel, a few spotted salamander egg masses, one of the most gorgeous spotted salamanders i have ever seen! But in the middle of looking for peepers i heard a good sized "kur-plunk" on the other side of a small island, like something jumping into the water. Since i was nearly waist deep i panicked for a second thinking what could have made that noise? muskrat? duck? big frog? I finally got the nerve up and kept searching for peepers, then i saw it! I froze, focused my head lamp and grabbed it! it was a painted turtle!!! I was so excited. The kids are gonna love him! Hope everyone else is having a great SPRING!!!!!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The Story of Swamp Thing!!!

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening, Mike! How were the 'skeeters? I'd be more afraid of them than any creepy-crawly that might be jumping in the water.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    That sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening, Mike! How were the 'skeeters? I'd be more afraid of them than any creepy-crawly that might be jumping in the water.
    no skeeters yet but i saw plenty of larvae, and the spiders were all over the place, and that creeps me out a bit, when they run all over ya!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

where abouts in Ct you from, cause im from shelton, and i would love some help on where to go to get cage supplies and stuff for my snake...its gonna be my first so i wanna make it the best i possibly can...

thanks, dan

Thanks

Sounds scary and exciting. Turtles rock! Every spring summer I keep my eyes peeled for turtles on the road to relocate. I think I've got my wife trained now to! Down at the lake this last weekend she spotted a juv snapping turtle that relocated to a stream...it was in the middle of a parking lot near the boat launch. Last night on our dog walk I found a painted turtle no more than a week or to old...that had met with something far heavier than its shell could handle
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

turtles are great, especially when you find them in the wild!

~mike