Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

2 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

The adventures never end...

So we took Cleo in for what we hoped was just your run of the mill bladder infection (she's had one before, easily treatable). She does have one, but it turns out she also has diabetes now. Weeee. Honestly though I was relieved, because a part of me is always scared the old girl's kidney is going. She's either 17 or 18 years old, and I've had her as long as I can remember. I know I'll lose her someday, but it's still a scary prospect... so diabetes is not so bad a thing all things considered! Poor baby, no wonder she's been drinking water like a camel!

I gave her her first shot of insulin last night, and man it was EASY. She didn't even know I did it. What's really weirding her off though is the change in diet regulation. She's gonna be on a new food which is no problem because she's not picky, but very small portions twice a day which she is not savvy with. She's used to never seeing the bottom of her food dish and grazing whenever she wants. Now, just a little bit to make sure she eats right before each shot. Cleo is not pleased.

Last night Unut snubbed his dinner though, which is BAD in the world of bunnies. I'm calling the vet when they open and taking him down, he is eating hay this morning though so I've calmed down a bit. After Daphne's bladder stone, Cleo's diabetes... I really hope it's just his allergies again and cheap and easy to treat. Cause good lord, we could use a break in the pet health department... I'm glad snakes are so hardy!

Very cool side note though, while I was waiting at the vet for Cleo's supplies I had a nice long chat with the new vet tech, who is a total herper. He's going to be an awesome herp vet someday. Was a blast to talk to, and being the bad influence you've all taught me to be I was totally encouraging him to go to the Tuscon Expo this year. He has a huge frog collection, and is addicted to them and as a bp.netter it's my duty to be a herp enabler, lol!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Re: The adventures never end...

Oh geez. I sure hope that you are able to get Cleo regulated on the insulin and that the bottom of the food bowl doesn't completely tick her off.

I'll also keep my fingers crossed for Unut too!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I hope that you get Cleo regulated with the insulin and the poor thing gets use to seeing the bottom of her bowl lol I can't wait for the Tucson Expo as I did not get to go last year...hubby was in the hospital...Maybe I will see you there
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

Thanks guys!

I really hope to make the Tuscon Expo again this year! It was SO fun! We'll see where we are moving wise etc, but so far the plan is to attend and I hope to see you there!

Cleo is still weirded off about the feeding schedule, but she doesn't even notice the shots. I did one yesterday after she ate WHILE she was drinking from the sink, lol. She has no idea. Ninja insulin!

Just got back from the vet w/ Unut yesterday and it's just his allergies acting up again. I wish I knew what he was allergic too. But it's easy to take care of, and like Cleo's diabetes I'm just glad it's not something more serious like snuffles or headtilt.

He is almost 4 pounds now, that rabbit! The bus scared him half to death, and he wouldn't calm down till I was holding him in the vet's office. He gets heavy after a while though, but he really wanted to be held. Most coddled bunny, I swear... he even kept trying to climb back up on me from the table when the doctor and tech were in there! My momma's boy. My big neurotic momma's boy, lol.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

My goodness, Sheree! You guys have your hands full! I'm very glad its all treatable stuff, though and not TOO hard on the pocketbook. You must be on a first-name basis with the whole vet clinic!
    -- Judy

Thanks

I actually accidentally left my credit card at the vet's office yesterday, they have it and it's safe and Karen and I were amused to note they may as well keep it. It's the only place we use it anyway, lol. I'll get it back on Cleo's recheck. They totally know us, lol.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007