Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,686

0 members and 2,686 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

veiled chameleon

okay so i decided to break down and finally do it. i've wanted a veiled cham f-o-r-e-v-e-r and today seemed like a good day to do it.

so, i did a search and there isn't much here on them. anyone have one? any tips you can offer a newbie to the world of cham?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Re: veiled chameleon

I usually have pretty good websites saved for animals that interest me, and chameleons fall into that category, so you're in luck!

http://www.adcham.com/

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200...eiled_faq.html

*sorry here's the link to the veiled specific page so it's easier
    http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/...lyptratus.html
    Last edited by qiksilver; 04-22-2007 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks

thank you so much.

anyone keep chams here?

honestly i'm a little overwhelmed. i was underinformed when i purchased my cham and thankful i have the funds and ability to create a healthy living space for her... but the amount of ventilation concerns me.

i have her in an exoterra but we cover the top of the mesh so the cats don't harrass the occupants (we have lots of exoterra enclosures) and since she needs so much ventilation, i'm concerned i won't be able to give her enough.

and i have no where to hang a mesh enclosure as my home is pretty "full".
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

daniel has a beautiful male veiled so he'd be the one to talk to I guess, there are also some panther keepers here

*sorry I was gonna leave it to someone more experience, but I'd try to find a suitable mesh cage because veileds are from fairly arid areas of yemen and I've read a lot on problems with glass enclosures

Thanks

oh cool. i'll pm daniel!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

pm sent

now to add more info on my set-up.

i have an automatic mister on order, should be here by the weekend. until then i'll be misting twice daily. the humidity in our home is generally nice and high since we have so many fish tanks and three of them are within 20 feet of the cham enclosure.

i've tied together some sticks and will add more today... to create an aboreal walking area of all the levels of the enclosure.

i have a red night light for warmth and a regular light for daylight which will be changed to a UVB/UVA bulb today.

my hubby is going to make another screen lid to fit over this screen lid with really good support so the cats can't fall through... AND as our cham grows he'll make a screen addition to add a few more feet UP for our cham...

she's been munching down silkworms all morning... and although she's still dark (stressed) i'm hoping she'll turn the gorgeous greens and yellows she was when i bought her yesterday.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

you can see the red glow from the heat lamp

right now her substrate is organic dirt, (from a gardening center) - and i'm going to make this 'ladder' go all the way up to the top of the enclosure today.

in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Sorry I missed this thread

Veiled Chameleons are pretty straight forward IMO. Here is a good caresheet to read:
    http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymounta.../RMHveiled.htm

Just a few things about the enclosure. I would be concerned over the reflective nature of glass. Chameleons kept in glass cages (with an exception to pygmy chameleons) become very very stressed when constantly seeing their reflection...enough so that it could eventually lead to death. So I would definately start looking for an entire screen cage (or building a screen cage...they are pretty simple).

Thats about it. They are not as difficult to keep as some people believe....you just have to make sure the 'basics' are covered

Let me know if you have anymore questions...I will try to help out the best I can

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    okay so i decided to break down and finally do it. i've wanted a veiled cham f-o-r-e-v-e-r and today seemed like a good day to do it.

so, i did a search and there isn't much here on them. anyone have one? any tips you can offer a newbie to the world of cham?
    This is interesting to me too. My best friend just bought a baby veiled, and she really doesnt know anything about husbandry or diet or anything. She has a glass set up, with some crickets, and a heat lamp. and some stuff to climb on, but i've been doing my research and everyone says that the glass is a bad idea. AND im worried she wont heed my advice and put it in the enclosure she should. (she wont want to spend the money)
    I dont know, guess i was just ranting about stuff. Its hard when you want to know everything about an animal, and your bestfriend [who actually OWNS the animal] doesnt.

Thanks

i've been talking to some other experienced keepers today (in person) and they said that the glass enclosures are fine if you have lots of plants which cover the sides so it doesn't reflect. they told me that if she is stressed, she won't colour up... she'll stay a brown colour.

she's already a gorgeous green with yellow and i just finished adding to her branches and she's climbing all over checking them out.

we are making a screen which will fit in the front so the doors can be open and it'll increase the ventilation.

thanks for the link daniel... i'm off to read now!

oh and i picked up some romaine lettuce and nasturtium seedlings today for her enclosure as well

AND i couldn't make it to the petstore but they've put aside a ballast and bulb for her... i'll pick it up tomorrow.
    in light, Aleesha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast