Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

2 members and 3,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

2 New Leos and horror story.....

So....Friday night I made a trip to the local reptile shop to stock up on crickets for my 2 cresties and recently adopted 10 year old leo. While there the girl that "helped" me with setting up the leo mentioned that she had 2 baby leos that she had to unload. She had to many animals and her kids were not helping her take care of them. I have talked to this girl many times over the last 8 months and she seemed to be very knowledgable about her herps. Even told me very quietly not to by sand for the leo...didn't want the owner of the store to hear.
    Anyways...I aks about the 2 babies and what she wants for them seeing as I just love my Pebbles....did not realize how much personality a leo had! So, she says $20 for both and a 20 gallon tank. Sounds good to me so we set up for me to go to her house around 10 pm for me to pick them up.
    I get to her house(she lives in a single wide about 12x60) she opens the door and I am OVERWELMED with the smell of animal:eek: and site of animals everywhere!!! She has 2 large dogs chained in the kitchen, a crate of 4 baby ducks in the kitchen, 6 fish tanks in the kitchen and living room, a bird cage with finches..one laying dead on the bottom of the cage!, 2 cats a litter of kittens, a 60 gallon with 2 frilled dragons? that look half dead..they had shed and there was no humidity or heat so their shed was hard and crackely and their eyes looked grayish purple around them, a baby demeril boa, the 2 leos, a turtle pond outside, turtles inside, and a crippled hamster,,,and talking about a $1000 boxer that she had stolen!!! What:eek: And the house was just filthy
    All she keeps saying is that she just doesn't have the time for all the animals and the kids don't help! When she gets home from work she just doesn't feel like having to take care of all of them.... Excuse me!!!! If you take on the animal it does not matter if you do not "feel" like cleaning, feeding, getting out the animal...you took on the responsiblity and the animal sure as heck can not take care of its self! None of these animals had the proper heating or light. She mentioned that she was selling the frilleds for $500....will cost triple that or more for vets and medicine I figure and they probably won't make a turn around! I am just totally totally pissed..hope that word is allowed lol
    The little leos did not have a drop of water in their bowl! I finally got out of their and got the little ones home and the first thing I said to the family was that it was worth $20 dollars just to get them out of that house. Oh..and what did she have them on????.......sand! So I got the tank cleaned out, put them on paper towels,put in some crickets and some leo food(dead dry bugs) and have left them be(kind of LOL) They are just so darn cute. I am a little worried that I have not seen them eat but have seen them in the water dish and they have been pooping so that is a good sign right? Yes they are quarentined in a seperate room of the house. By the way...I am running out of empty rooms!
    I want to call and turn her in but I have to go into this store for my crickets and rats. If I wait to call she may not think it was me but the animals may die...I am really torn, I don't want to make enemies at this store.
    Sorry for the long winded rant... anyways here are the 2 little ones...not sure of the sexes but since I have Pebbles these are Fred and Wilma .....Hope one is a boy- the yellow one Fred the little orange and black is Wilma...I think LOL

the little orange one is half the size of the yellow
    Any ideas on how to have the animals removed from this woman.
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

Re: 2 New Leos and horror story.....

wow....if i were you, i would save those animals lives.
    party like a rockstar!

bp.net=a family....we give, we get, we love, we are ball'in!

Thanks

Call the whatever animal control you have in your area ASAP!!!

Thanks

I'm no help on the Leo's but........i do understand your concern of the others!

all i can say is tell somebody! if your just buying crickets and rats from this store......who cares if she knows its you! those animals will die.....and if you find out, you would be crushed! Just my 2cents, but i would drop a dime!

good luck ... keep us posted!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Ok.....will call in am as I have the day off. I know her address so I can give it to animal control...if she is not home will they keep going back until they can get in? My hubby says to call to.... and you all are right I could not bear it for those animals to die!
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKESMOM
    Ok.....will call in am as I have the day off. I know her address so I can give it to animal control...if she is not home will they keep going back until they can get in? My hubby says to call to.... and you all are right I could not bear it for those animals to die!

stay on top of them! but when i worked for the Humane society, we got the job done! i'm not sure how it works in your town!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Blog Entries

wow, i just really don't understand some people.

i'm glad you were able to rescue these two though and all things considered they don't look too bad. the orange one does look pretty young and i can't tell if it's just the way her feet are in the pic, but it looks like she is missing the end joints from most of the toes i can see? that is usually caused by stuck shed constricting the toes, causing them to die as the leo grows.

are you keeping them separately now? does your other leo eat those dried bugs? i've never offered them to my geckos but i would think they wouldn't have a whole lot of interest in them since they don't move.

i'd call the spca on the woman. don't wait, do it now for the sake of the animals. if she gets hostile toward you go to another store. is there a reason you have to go to this particular store? if it really becomes a problem you could talk to the manager and explain that this person is being hostile toward you--i would think he would have some words with her about that kind of treatment of a customer.
    - Emily

Thanks

By the way......I'm assuming this is an adult because you said she had kids! geeeesh, how are those kids ever supposed to learn responsibility if the mom lets animals die right before their eyes.......................(sad)

Thanks

Yes the little one is missing toes!!! Geesh! Poor little one They have been put into seperate 10 gallons set next to each other in the office...no other animals in there...til now. My husband is now the official "cage mister" while I am at work! He reports to me every night that he has misted everyone...he is very proud of his role LOL He does have 5 cages to keep track of during the day and the snake....and I of course tell him what a great job he is doing LOL....now if I could just get him to clean cages
    Yes this is an adult woman....and get this....the demeril "belongs" to her 12 year old son!!!
    -Lisa

Thanks

forgot...none of the leos have touched the "dead" bugs...My Pebbles loves to hunt her food LOL I love watching her....she wiggles her tail right before she chomps one!
    -Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast