Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

2 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Temp variations question

I know the ideal temps on the warm side of my cages, but how much can the temps vary on the warm side. For example 95 degrees +/- how much?
    I thinking for making my own temperature controller. I believe I can maintain the ideal temp +/- 2 degrees with an high temp alarm that could turn on an exhaust fan to do emergency ventilation if the temps got too high for some reason. I do stuff like this at work all the time. I think I can build a set up that can control any type of heat source since the controller I intend on using actually uses algorithums to keep the temps in check versus an on/off type setup. Anyway any input would be appreciated.
    A few dogs, a bunch of chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 Pygmy goats

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Temp variations question

Hi,

That's an interesting sounding project.

Since the figures I always see quoted are 90-95 degrees I would say if your shooting for a plus/minus of 2 degrees then set it for 92.5 if you can.

The 95 being to top end I'm not sure you would want to design a system that would exceed it by any great margin for a protracted length of time.

If you go ahead with this I would quite like to see pics and progess if you don't mind. I have an O.N.D. in electronics sitting here doing nothing and quite like the idea of building a couple of fun herp related projects.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

The company that makes the controller is Athena. It's a C10 series temp controller. All I have to do is to is hook a thermocouple to the controller, some power, and let the controller turn a relay on and off. I can have the relay controling a 120 volt recepticle to plug whatever heat source in to. This controller has an auto tune feature to adjust for the charateristics of how fast the device heats and cools. In short, it can keep more consistant heat by pulsing the the heat source. Of course this wouldn't be aimed at heat bulbs, more to heat panels, ceramic heaters, UTh's, andmaybe the Flexwatt style.

I've also been toying with an automated misting system in my head. Using somekind of microPLC to turn on some misting heads for X amount of time at some set time every day or on a certain set day of the week. Just some ideas bouncing around in my head.

Most of these ideas aren't feasible because of cost of the hardware. For example, the Athena temp controller alone is about $150 plus the cost of an enclosure, relay, recepticle, wire, and exhaust fan. This could easily be a $300 project.
    A few dogs, a bunch of chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 Pygmy goats

Thanks

If it would cost that much, I would just buy a proportional thermostat. I think they control temps +/- .9
    Last edited by UWStoutNinja; 04-11-2007 at 04:55 AM.