Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

2 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

african rats - and back to normal rats?

anyone tried feeding these african rats to their snakes for any period of time and then seeing if they'll transfer effortlessly over to normal ratties?

i'm curious because if someone gets their snakes on these 'specialty' ratties and then the snakes are sold/rehomed to someone who only has normal ratties... will they eat?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Re: african rats - and back to normal rats?

I've been feeding my corn snakes normal rats, mice, and ASF rats. I haven't tried for extended periods of time but I will feed them ASF for 3 or 4 feedings then switch back to a rat or mouse. Never seem to have any problems eating any of the 3. If anything my 05 male seems to like normal rats better but he eats all 3.

I've phased out the mouse colonies so as time goes on they will be eating more and more just ASF rats and less of the others mixed in. I only breed the domestic rats occasionally,

I only just recently got my first ball python, a very small female normal just recentty hatched I believe. She's been eating exclusively live hopper ASF rats for a month and a half now. As she settles in I'm going to try to transition her to F/T ASF but I don't plan on feeding her anything else. I might try a live rat next time I have a domestic rat litter, but everything else is frozen.
    Last edited by Flagg; 04-13-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

A month and a half is not enough IMO. I want to see what 6 months of ASF would do as far as switching it to domestic rats goes.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

yes and on ball pythons, not corns or boas as they are switch hitters... they don't care what they eat most of the time LOL

so... come on, i know there's people here breeding the ASF rats, - what's the scoop?
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    yes and on ball pythons, not corns or boas as they are switch hitters... they don't care what they eat most of the time LOL

so... come on, i know there's people here breeding the ASF rats, - what's the scoop?
    We need Heath or Ed to chime in as they are pry the 2 who have been breeding (and feeding) them the longest, I am sure they will stop by sooner or later.

I just started so I won't know for awhile...but based on feedback(when I asked this questions) so far I haven't heard from anyone who has seen an imprinting issue with ASF.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Ihave ball pythons, and I fed african soft furred off and on to several different ones. They eat the africans, and the regular rats without any issues as to which one it is.
    Have I fed exclusively ASF for 6 months? No. I have however started some bp hatchlings on ASF, and I fed two balls ASF for a while, then switched back(ran out of ASF).
    I haven't seen any issues with imprinting.
    Wolfy
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    A month and a half is not enough IMO. I want to see what 6 months of ASF would do as far as switching it to domestic rats goes.
    So get some ASF rats and try it yourself. Most people breeding them have only just started in the past 6 months.

Why should others have to take the risk of feeding them exclusively?

Information was asked for and I gave what experience I have had, sorry if it's not good enough for you people.
    Last edited by Flagg; 04-13-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg
    So get some ASF rats and try it yourself. Most people breeding them have only just started in the past 6 months.

Why should others have to take the risk of feeding them exclusively?

Information was asked for and I gave what experience I have had, sorry if it's not good enough for you people.
    I was not criticizing you for giving that information. You specifically said that you just got your ball python so I was not asking you. I said that in case anyone else saw that and thought of if it was eating ASF for a month and a half and goes to rats, it is okay. I would try, but there are nowhere around here that sells ASF and I am not driving 2 or 3 hours to get some. If I could find a place, I would be first in line for em.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

To be completely honest the answer your looking for will not be found by anyone but yourself and your own experience. I personally have fed mice or rats for a a time period while I transitioned over to asf rats and did not have a problem. As of now, it has been several months since I have fed anything other than asf rats.

No one can give you a clear cut YES or NO...or even tell you that you shouldn't try it. Every snake is going to be different, in how it reacts to a different prey item. Some may take asf rats with gusto like you have never seen before, others may take time to transition, and still some may not accept them at all.

I really try and be as clear and honest as possible with people when they ask about them. There is no guarantee that asf rats will get a non feeding snake eating. There are to many factors and other reasons for a snake to be off food to simply rely on a change of food to be the answer. They are simply an alternative food source and I will be so bold to say that the success rate has been very positive.

Without causing "opinions" to flare up, I think those interested should make their own decision based on their own animals and experiences.

You may want to post this question on the asf rat site where you will get more individuals who can share their experiences.

*Hopefully I didn't sounds harsh in any of this...not my intention
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    anyone tried feeding these african rats to their snakes for any period of time and then seeing if they'll transfer effortlessly over to normal ratties?

i'm curious because if someone gets their snakes on these 'specialty' ratties and then the snakes are sold/rehomed to someone who only has normal ratties... will they eat?

my original questions was... will the asf eating snakes eat regular ratties once they are rehomed?

anyone have any experience with this?
    in light, Aleesha

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast