Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,447

2 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: African Soft-Furred Rats

My first female is an aggressive biter, and VERY rarely one or 2 others but only if I'm disturbing their nests.

I wear thick leather gardening gloves when dealing with the nasty female, but no gloves needed when dealing with the other tanks. I still don't attempt to hold them though, quick grab at the base of the tail and move immediately to the waiting enclosure.

To me, it's a plus that they aren't all cuddly and nice like domestic rats. Makes it much easier to kill them or feed them off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Thanks

Oh yeah I think I'll be investing in a nice, thick, heavy duty pair of gloves very soon.

Ed, yes the girl at the store tried to pick them up by their tails. X_X

Flagg, I have no problem feeding off little mean snits!

Does anyone here know of if you need to own a license for these animals? Some lady on another forum said I'd need a USDA license. On Heath;s forum, I've been told that I do not since they don't fall under the federal stuff... but to look into the State laws on them. So far I've found absolutely nothing on or about them with Maryland. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places on the Internet?

I have no problem getting a license if need be, but I don't want to "illegally' own these animals and get busted when I can't seem to find anything about them and Maryland exotic pet laws. Any help would be great!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid

Does anyone here know of if you need to own a license for these animals? Some lady on another forum said I'd need a USDA license. On Heath;s forum, I've been told that I do not since they don't fall under the federal stuff... but to look into the State laws on them. So far I've found absolutely nothing on or about them with Maryland. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places on the Internet?

I have no problem getting a license if need be, but I don't want to "illegally' own these animals and get busted when I can't seem to find anything about them and Maryland exotic pet laws. Any help would be great!
    Just to give you the quick background...several years ago there was an outbreak of Monkey Pox carried by ASF (amoung others) so the governement outlawed them from importation. All the current colonies are pre-ban so no license is needed (and shouldn't be carriers). However, if for some reason you wanted to bring in new blood lines from Africa then you would need a license from the FDA and USDA. This is the federal law...as for your state you would need to check but I wouldn't expect to find anything as Maryland isn't a typical import destination for animals.
    Sean

Thanks

Adding a chunk of wood or something like Ed mentioned is top notch advice. I haven't had to much of a chewing issue on my tubs but they definitely chew on the wood. In some tubs I'll toss in bits of untreated wood and in others I've made crude wooden hide boxes they like to chew, climb, and sleep in. I use a mesh "column" that hangs from the lid of my tubs that holds both food and the water bottles...before doing this it frustrating losing water bottles!
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Actually, ASF rats were not included in the original monkeypox scare, it was gambian pouched rats, groundhogs and some other african rodents. Since then there has been a general ban on ALL imports of African rodents of any kind.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: African Soft-Furred Rats

Warren, next time going past a petsmart pick up a couple super pet chew proof bottles and you wont lose any more water bottles. they are all glass and metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    Adding a chunk of wood or something like Ed mentioned is top notch advice. I haven't had to much of a chewing issue on my tubs but they definitely chew on the wood. In some tubs I'll toss in bits of untreated wood and in others I've made crude wooden hide boxes they like to chew, climb, and sleep in. I use a mesh "column" that hangs from the lid of my tubs that holds both food and the water bottles...before doing this it frustrating losing water bottles!

Thanks

Yeah, I put a piece of a branch in there with them... they were going to town on it last night! The water bottle I have right now has one of those metal guards on it, so far they have not figured out how to get past that. Also the little buggers can jump! One was jumping up and hitting the screen top on their 10 gallon tank this morning. Looked like he had springs in those little legs.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Why would someone have these lil "possum lookin" cuties if you can't hold em?
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    Why would someone have these lil "possum lookin" cuties if you can't hold em?
    They're used as feeders. Snakes love them and generally prefer them over any rat or mouse.

What pet store did you find them at? I've been looking for some in my area but I didn't think pet stores had them yet since they were too aggresive to be pets.
    - Jon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast