Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,737

1 members and 2,736 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

African Soft-Furred Rats

I'm on the African Soft-Furred Rats bandwagon. Yesterday while at a little local pet store I saw that they had some ASFR's. So last night I read up on them, got a basic gist on and how to care for them. Thanks A LOT Heath for answering my questions! Today I went back and bought a trio of 1 male and 2 females. Set them up and they are good to go. They are adorable but I won't dare to touch them. The girl who got them for me had one latch onto her hand... yeah that wasn't pretty!

Last thing... does anyone know anything about needing a license from the USDA to own these animals? I was told today by someone that I'll need one here in Maryland, but I've not been able to find anything about it.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Re: African Soft-Furred Rats

Oh. My. Gosh! They are SO cute...I just want to cuddle them I imagine seeing one bite the snot out of some girl is a deterrant...but I don't know if I could keep from holding one for long.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzureN1ght
    Oh. My. Gosh! They are SO cute...I just want to cuddle them I imagine seeing one bite the snot out of some girl is a deterrant...but I don't know if I could keep from holding one for long.
    They are mean...don't let their cute looks fool you. Whenever I open their cages they stare at me and if I make a move toward them the male comes after me . So now I wear gloves whenever I work with them.

But the biting is really a minor issue - they stay small, don't stink and so far breed great.
    Sean

Thanks

Allison...I am sure Heath told you but if not he started a great site about them to share info on for all us new breeders.

http://www.asfrats.info/index.php

See you there.
    Sean

Thanks

Aww... they look like little possums!

Thanks

Nice pics. I breed ASF rats as well and got rid of my mice once I got them breeding.

Do all of yours look the same? black coat, white head and white tail area? If so then all the babies will look exactly like those. And a dilute (tan) version of the same if you have the pink eye dilute gene in them.

At first all that mattered was the producstion. Now that they are breeding so well, I'm actually trying to breed them for the various possible coat types and colors.