Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,209

1 members and 1,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where would you reccomend to buy racks from?

Freedom Breeder has some extremely nice racks available but their prices are so expensive! I would like to know if their prices are actually worth it and if I should get them at other places. Thanks.
    - Jon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Where would you reccomend to buy racks from?

I have a small fortune invested in Freedom Breeder racks and in my opinion they are worth every penny ... The way I figure it, if you think in terms of a 25 year lifetime of a ball python, a Freedom Breeder adult rack works out to about $16 - $17 a year per animal.

There isn't a thing about Freedom Breeders that I don't like. The snakes I keep in my Freedom Breeder racks eat better, breed better, and are calmer than the snakes I have in my remaining plastic and wooden rack systems.

Definitely not a knock against racks from other vendors ... there are a ton of great options available out there and I think they can work equally well for anyone ... I'm just sharing my opinion based on my experiences.

I think any way you go, as long as you pay attention to the needs of your animal, you'll do fine.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BaLLPAddICT
    Freedom Breeder has some extremely nice racks available but their prices are so expensive! I would like to know if their prices are actually worth it and if I should get them at other places. Thanks.
    This is a loaded question with a TON of opinions...so here is mine

Freedom Breeder Racks are awesome and will last forever - but are pry the most expensive rack system you can buy...but you get what you pay for (no sagging, no broken parts, no wear or tear, etc). As an alternative ARS caging makes a steel rack as well (that I own) there are just as nice and slightly cheaper (but not by much)

Melamine racks from Rich at Reptile Basics or Boaphile are really nice. They are about half the price if you take care of them could last just as long...but remember they are plastic so won't take the abuse that steel ones will. They are also a lot lighter so if you need to move them it is much easier. IMO being plastic they also hold heat better then the metal ones, and the enclosed structure makes keeping the humidity easier...but this is just my opinion.

In the end it is really up to you. Once you decide type you will get a ton of recommendations on which brand to go with.

Good Luck
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    IMO being plastic they also hold heat better then the metal ones, and the enclosed structure makes keeping the humidity easier...but this is just my opinion.
    Just to be clear to people that are just researching these products ... open air racks like Freedom Breeders are not meant to "hold" either heat or humidity (although, they do offer an optional alternate top if that is what you require) ... there are many many benefits to an open air caging system, but consumers must understand that heating and humidifying the room that the rack is in is almost always a must. For me, open air systems are the only way to go for ball pythons ... although I've had plenty of success using all kinds of caging.

Hope this helps.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Just to be clear to people that are just researching these products ... open air racks like Freedom Breeders are not meant to "hold" either heat or humidity (although, they do offer an optional alternate top if that is what you require) ... there are many many benefits to an open air caging system, but consumers must understand that heating and humidifying the room that the rack is in is almost always a must. For me, open air systems are the only way to go for ball pythons ... although I've had plenty of success using all kinds of caging.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Very True Adam...I should have pointed that out. Thanks for catching and clarifying
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Very True Adam...I should have pointed that out. Thanks for catching and clarifying
    Not a problem ... just didn't want anyone to get confused comparing the two types of products ... they are each really very different and suit different needs.

-adam

Thanks

thanks for the info adam and sean. i think i am going to spend some time saving up for the freedom breeder racks but first i will check out the racks at reptilebasics or boaphile. i dont quite understand the open air racks compared to the others. freedom breeder racks have screen lids? and the other one doesnt? if thats the case how important is that? and adam, do you remember what you paid for shipping on the freedom breeder racks you got?
    - Jon

Thanks

I honestly cannot yet attest to racks, but I just got a boaphile cage and was very impressed with the quality. Nice, honest people to deal with. I am one satisfied customer.

I think tigerlily has a couple of boaphile racks...
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks

......just to avoid any confusion in post #3 the poster mentions that reptile basics and boaphile racks are melamine but are actually made from plastic.have fun!
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I own Freedom breeder, Animal Plastic and the Vision cb-70 rack and I did a reveiw on the Vision, it is a very versatile rack.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=45148

Hope this helps,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast