Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

2 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need some help with my cat.

My cat over this weekend developed some wheezng sounds when he breaths. Vets not open untl monday and I'm worried sick. I've had this cat since I was little. He's about 10 years old, and has always been a very healthy cat. I must admit he is an indoor cat that hasn't seen the vet in a very long time. It almost seems as if he has a really bad hair ball that is making him wheeze. If he starts to purr loudly he gets choked up and trys to spit something out but he isn't able to get anything out. Got him some science diet food to help with the hairballs and some paste to mix with his dry food that is supposed to help break down the hairballs. Any of you have any experience with something like this. I'm freaking out a little cause I've had this cat forever, I'm planning on taking him to the vet on Monday. Anyone have any soothing words?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need some help with my cat.

My cat does this too! I don't know what it is but he has been in for a check-up and the vet didn't say anything but I'm not sure. Now you've got me worried!! Let me know how it goes.
    -Matt-
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

Thanks

What got me worried was the fact that a hairball can get quite large in a cat and cause impaction. In some cases surgery is needed to remove the hairball. My cat isn't doing the wheezing once and a while is constantly, like he has something stuck somewhere. Ahhhh I just don't know, just happy I have a really good vet nearby.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

It could be many things, from serious to not.
    It is possible he has a upper respitory infection. He could have the old hairball problem. Could have something stuck in his throat. Could have a mild cough from allergies or dust. Might have a dustbunny stuck in his throat from hunting under furniture.
    The best thing I CAN tell you, Cats that eat and drink, pee in the litterbox, generally are not on death's door. Relax, pamper and wait for the vet appointment(unless he gets worse of course).
    *All of the above information/advice/opinion are only opinions held by the poster and not to be taken by any readers as official vet advice. Contents are measured by weight, not volumne, and some settling may have occured during shipping.
    Wolfy
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Thanks,

He scarfed down some food before although he made an array of noises I've never heard from him before. Drank some water and is now resting on the couch.

Again thanks
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

You can try giving straight Nutrical ( without mixing it into the food) and see if that helps but as mentioned it could be anything. My older cat 13 years now has been indoor and healthy since a kitten and she developed asthma 2 years ago. Another old boy I have here lived with my cousin for a long time who is a chain smoker ( the kind that never opened a freaking window in her life either) and after she dumped him on me when moving he developed a lung condition from the smoke.
    I hope its nothing serious. I had a rescue here that managed to find a lose string from a blanket and thought it would be fun to chew until it started unraveling and getting longer and longer and she started choking on it. I pulled a foot of string from her throat!
    Good luck and let us know what happens!

Thanks

So I took hercules to the vet yesterday, where he completely stopped making the wheezing noise, and got some blood work done. It turns out kitty has diabetes and I'll be going there thurs to learn how to give the injection. This is all costing me a fortune right now but what else can you really do. Anyone else have a diabetic cat?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I know there are quite a few online support groups for diabetic felines. Good luck with him.

Thanks

My cat Cato was diagnosed with diabetes last spring...I decided to not start an insulin program because I just couldn't bring myself to stab him twice a day for the rest of his life and live with the ups and downs balancing his blood sugar.

I decided in September that I couldn't bear to see him suffer any longer and put him down after sharing 12 and half wonderful years with him.

It's a hard decision and completely up to you...I know exactly how hard it is, especially having had him around for so long.

*big hugs*
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

I've worked with lots of diabetic cats, and it's honestly not that hard to manage, once you get them regulated. The regulation period is awful though...lots of blood tests and incremental adjustments to the insulin dosing. The needles for the injections are very tiny, and most cats don't even notice, include the horrid vicious ones who'd just as soon bite you on principal.

Very mild diabetes can sometimes be regulated with diet alone, usually Science Diet m/d which is a high-protein, low-carb diet. In any diabetic cat, feeding m/d can help reduce the insulin dose needed.

For monitoring, get a human glucometer, and get your vet to show you how to check the glucose at home. You can make a small wound on the ear and then just pick the scab (not as gross as it sounds) to get a tiny drop for the test. It's a very minor thing, once you know how to do it. Being able to monitor him at home will save you a lot of headaches and money trying to figure out if he needs to be taken to the vet or not.

A couple things to be aware of...you can get transient diabetes in cats secondary to some other stressor, usually a hidden disease process such as pancreatitis. Once that process is resolved, diabetes disappears. Also, in some cats the diabetes will spontaneously resolve for no apparent reason (mine did after two months).

And finally, diabetes in cats is nearly always secondary to obesity. Skinny cats just don't get it. Has to do with how the pancreas responds to fat deposition or something like that. Get the weight off and often the diabetes improves. And those of you reading this with fat cats who are not diabetic, consider this a very strong reason why you should be putting them on diets. If you can't feel the ribs with minimal pressure, you've got an overweight animal.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast