Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I got an Internship at a Refuge! (HUGE DUW)

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    That is definetly not true. Some people hang out on sights just to acquire animals. That doesn't mean it's a good home at all. Some will grab them up just to try and sell them for profit. Any time you place an animal you need to ask questions such as husbandry practices, space available or what type setups they have. Many times the uncommitted will trip themselves up in an interview. Rescueing an animal is only a actual rescue if it will be better off than the situation it came from. Good luck and be careful.
    Great post; you said what I wanted to
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

yea you guys have a point. i was kinda figuring that the people who would want them would be the people i see talking on here all the time. i wouldnt give it to someone who ive never seen give any knowledgable info. ide wanna know that they know what they are doing.
    1.2 Het Ghost, Frank; Normals, Delilah and No-Name
    1.0 African Clawed Frog, Casper
    2.0 Sliders, Stewie and Spike

Thanks

What you may want to do before you start up with adopting out animals is just hang in there. First learn all you can, Get the animals in the best shape possible. Next get in touch with other rescue people who have done it for yrs.. Find out about all the to do's and what not to do.

First off the animals need to be in the best shape possible. Rehoming a sick or weak animal can stress it possibly causing its' death.
    Learn ALL you can. That is where you will be able to help animals the most. Get to know people on the animal sights and learn what they have to offer. You will be so much better for the experience.
    This world needs more people like you that care. I don't have all the answers, but have done rescue work for many yrs. If I don't have answers to your questions I will try to point you in the right direction. Many people here will help I'm sure.
    Carry on and good luck. And we love pics, keep us updated.

Thanks

Bit of advice though. As much as you want to roar in there and get all the snakes and other critters sorted out, remember you won't be around to do that if you offend the people that run this place. It looks like they sure need help and maybe have gotten overwhelmed (hopefully this is not hoarders masked as a refuge but only you will figure that one out). Go slow, gently suggest changes, offer to help with things you know you can do but walk softly on their egos. If you come across too strong or "I can fix this mess for you" sort of thing...you likely won't be there long.

You might want to consider a local kids group like scouts or something that could build enclosures or do a fund raising drive for the refuge as a community project. Volunteer or find a friend who would volunteer to be a co-ordinator for community/corporate donations if the refuge would like that sort of thing done for them (unless they are trying to keep a low profile so the community doesn't go nuts about "that place with SNAKES!!!" lol)

Wish I was closer...I'm a great cage cleaner lol.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

thanks guys. im takin 2 of em asap. cause ive wanted some new snakes since i got the first one! after that, we will see what happens. im in no rush. but i def wanna help these guys as soon as i can

Thanks

The first thing i see today when i drive up- one of our 3 legged dear that we keep the door open for. She just hangs around.

So today I got to do something different. I talked the owner into letting me take one of the large monitors out of his way-too-small aquarium and put him in a wooden cage that we have laying around taking up space. Took me a few hours, and I had to stop cause we need some materials, but heres my progress.

the future resident

starting off

cleaning out all the old stuff

new screen baby!

what its gonna look like

cleared up...still have to put artificial turf down on the ladder for some grippage, as well as a nice heat lamp (which ill provide if i have to)

AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TODAY!!! I was about to feed the box turtles when i saw her laying her first one! so i grabbed the camera fast!!!

we have had her for a few months, with her NEVER being with a male, so these probably wont hatch...but we put the eggs in hatchling sand, cause supposedly sperm can stay inside a mother turtle for a really long time (a year we were told?)

anyways, it was fun to watch. Thanks for looking!

Thanks

Weird! I never knew that about turtle sperm..
    So how are the BPs doing?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

we had a guy some today and adopted one bp and the jungle carpet...hopefully i can get the ball moving asap on them

Thanks

UPDATE!

so the owner gave me a task...sort of a big one. he showed me this old pond that he and his friends made years ago, but never got the time to finish it...He said that he wanted me to completely re-do it, and then i can put all the turtles in there, and get them out of the tupperware they are in now!!!!! i was so excited to help them get more room to re-hab and live their lives (some of them will never leave). the owner gave me this as a full on summer project, thinking that i wouldnt wanna do it and would get it done when i didnt have anything else do to...wrong!!!. i started on it the next day!

its going to have a waterfall, a covered area to eat, live plants that ill get for free, no weeds so they land turtles can dig (the chickenwire goes down a few feet, then tucks under)...here are some pics.

the start

after ALOT of raking...the water dropped a foot just after getting the leaves out...hours and hours of raking and shoveling leaves and branches.

end of day 1

day 2

more raking and taking out the water BUCKET BY BUCKET

YES!!!!!

Now you all may be saying "you didnt need to get every drop and grain of sand out...but Im 22 years old...so tomorrow, IM SKATING IT BEFORE ANYONE GETS THERE! ill take pics of that too hahahah

then ill start weeding, making the waterfall, etc...prolly atleast a week before i can move anyone in. weather is perfect for them right now.

oh, and we got a new resident in! her mother abandoned her at a lot that was being cleared for houses. they let the fawn sit at the lot for a few hours and the mother never came back, so now we are going to raise her. Our deer actually have it good here.

oh, and Frank had to remind me this morning to wear my deodorant.

thanks for looking.

Thanks

You are a 22 year old with a vision! That's amazing work on that pond already! You deserve to skate it after all that back breaking bucket work. Can't wait to see the finished product (please take pictures along the way...and keep copies...this sort of stuff is GOOD on the resume!). Big hugs on your dedication to the refuge and it's critters.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast